?
Lv 7
? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

does anyone remember?

what amendment President Jimmy Carter made on the law of dual citizenship in 1978?

i do know it, i was just wondering if any of you knew this? or remember it?

thank you to the ones who will take time to answer,

Update:

obviously you do not know the law? the US does allow dual citizenship and a President can make amend a law.

Update 2:

Docar? i knew you would know this ;-)

Update 3:

of course with Congress,it goes without say..i did not mean by himself ...

Update 4:

i did not word the question correctly.sorry,

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1) Yes the US does allow dual citizenship! I'm US & Ireland, wife is ROC & US.

2) The president can NOT make, amend, change, etc. any law. It takes both houses of congress (please note in below "but because (judging from the legislative history) Congress appears to have decided these provisions were rarely used and/or were not worth keeping.") and then he can sign it into law which Jimmy Carter did in 1978:

1978 citizenship law amendments (Pub.L. 95-432)

On 10 October 1978, President Carter signed Public Law 95-432 (92 Stat. 1046; 1978 U.S. Code Congressional and Administrative News 2521). This bill repealed several provisions which had previously allowed revocation of US citizenship.

Some of the provisions abolished by Pub.L. 95-432 had already been rendered unenforceable by the Supreme Court. For example, the bill repealed provisions revoking citizenship for voting in foreign elections (Afroyim v. Rusk), moving abroad following naturalization (Schneider v. Rusk), and desertion from the armed forced during wartime (Trop v. Dulles) were all repealed.

Certain other provisions were also repealed, however -- not because of adverse Supreme Court rulings, but because (judging from the legislative history) Congress appears to have decided these provisions were rarely used and/or were not worth keeping. For example, Pub.L. 95-432 repealed provisions revoking citizenship of foreign-born US citizens who failed to move back to the US as adults (a rule upheld by the Supreme Court in Rogers v. Bellei); children who failed to move back to the US as adults after their parents had lost or given up US citizenship (a weaker version of the rule previously struck down in Perkins v. Elg); and dual nationals who lived abroad and had voluntarily claimed benefits of a foreign citizenship as adults. It should be noted that the abolition of these provisions was not made retroactive; people who had lost US citizenship under these provisions did not automatically get it back.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This country does not recognize dual citizenship.

And it is Congress who makes the laws.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.