Anyone from Nashville voting YES for "English First" today?

This would make English the official language of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Tennessee.

Nashville would be the largest city to have such a law.

dirosyn... for someone who supposedly practices law, you would know that the provisions allow exceptions necessary to comply with federal or state law. Also, the Metro Council would have the power to make other health and safety exceptions.

Favorite Answer

I am in williamson county but if I could I WOULD. Go Nashville!!!!

If I lived in Nashville I vote NO! because we need to be a International City and speak additionally Spanish and then Chinese languages.

• I am not from Nashville but I would vote yes for the English language whenever I could.

If I lived in Nashville I vote Yes!

I live in Murfreesboro, so I can't vote on it. But the law is stupid. Why put up a legal barrier to prevent the government from doing its job? Many branches of the Metro government--the courts, health department, department of children's services, and the city police--are legally required to communicate with people and to make sure they understand. What if a Metro cop wants to ask a hispanic person whether he's in the country legally? Or wants to make a Miranda warning? Or wants to get a written confession on the form that contains a written Miranda warning?

What if the Japanese Embassy wants to lease a public building? Do we want to insult them?

Source(s): 8 years practicing law in Nashville

Its the way it should be.