Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Our first "black" president...?

I have a couple of questions for everyone..

1. Barack is our first "black" president.... Isnt his mother a WHITE woman??

2. Should we be calling our 44th president "Our First Bi-Racial President" or "Our First Black President"?

3. If Barack was an albino would he be considered 'black' or 'white'?

OK.. to those of you that JUMPED to the conclusion that I havent considered this or that.. the reason I ASK THIS QUESTION... is becuz.........

I have a son who's father is black... ( I am a 'white' woman).. I am raising this wonderful, young man by MYSELF.. although he APPEARS to be a 'black' male I want to be given some sort of credit for raising him to be the man he will become.

I am no racist. I am just curious as to why the white side of Barack Obama's white family is not being recognized.

Favorite Answer

"The United States is the only country in the world in which a white mother can have a black child but a black mother cannot have a white child."

Stephan Thernstrom

from the National Review

In the United States a person with any trace of African ancestry is considered black. This is a result of the "one drop rule" a popular idea forged in the South during the slave trade period.

Despite the one-drop rule being held illegal (ever since the U.S. Supreme Court in 1967 overturned the Racial Integrity Act of 1924), as recently as 1986, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a decision by the Federal Office for Dispute Resolution to refuse to hear a case attacking Louisiana’s racial classification criteria as applied to Susie Phipps (479 U.S. 1002) - who thought she was white.

It is unconstitutional for any legal purposes, and it has been challenged by anthropology but nevertheless it is still very widely held that people's "looks" define their identity.

Source(s): Wikipedia "one drop rule"

Why do you think President Obama is "taking your guns?" Only Congress can vote to change GUN CONTROL laws and they are not inclined to make any changes since the NRA has spread so much money and influence around. The Supreme Court has already ruled that the 2nd Amendment protects the rights of individuals to own guns. Where do you people get these wacky ideas? Must be talk radio.

He is biracial. This means he is a person of color. He is not white, although he has white blood.

There are albino blacks. They are considered black, but they have pale skin.

I don't particularly care for Obama, but really, this should be a non-issue. It can be construed as racist, although I'm sure you don't mean it that way. There will be much more to complain about him in the future without having to ask silly questions about race.

BTW- Obama is actually the 43rd President. Grover Cleveland has been counted twice (22th and 24th) because he had 2 non-consecutive terms.

Ann was a white woman but his father is black so u r right-he is bi-racial. If he was an albino he should still be considered bi-racial.

Yes, President Obama is half white, but he considers himself black. Perhaps "Our First African-American President" would be more fitting. Bi-racial works as well, but skin color doesn't always definite heritage. A black person could come from anywhere in the world, while an African-American is clearly a person with African heritage.

I'm so sick of seeing this question posted I can't restrain myself anymore (go ahead, report me. It might not even matter since I'm sure every one else is sick of seeing it, too).

Why would any one care one way or another about this? What possible point do you "think" it makes? Do you realize that almost every "bi-racial" persons represents themselves as black? Do you realize that almost all Americans (especially the most bigoted and racist) consider somebody bi-racial as black?

Give it up already. It's completely meaningless.

Obama's mother was white.

He has called himself the first black President. So has the Media. So has his fellow politicians.

I do not know.

With your added information I would think you are worried about nothing. Your child will recognize and credit you for raising him to the man he will become. I do not think the white members of Obama's family feels the least bit "slighted" by his identifying himself as being black.

I don't think Bi-Racial president work. Please defied race? It has no scientific meaning. Everyone defines it differentially. Do you notice when we fill out forms ... it asks for your race and than it says "Other" if race was defind it wouldn't say other. Anyway back to your question...

1)It is true, he is white as much as he is black. People judge by the color... it is true he is our first "dark" skinned president and that is what is new.

2) we should just say our mixed president.

3) humm good question... maybe our Asian president? lol.

He is our first black President. His bi-racial background doesn't mean a thing. The law books state that if you are more than 1/16th black, you are deemed a black.

Yes he is. You need to MOVE ON. An albino is still Black or Asian or Hispanic...cultural identity isn't about pigment. Given your obvious lack of understanding around these issues I'm guessing you never gave a damn about any of it until you started obsessing over Obama. Time to get a life.