Zee asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What am I going through?

I'm trying to figure out the best description for what kind of... whatever is going on with me. I've got a list of symptoms and my guesses as to what it could be.

Symptoms

-Insomnia/Decreased need for sleep

-Decreased mood in general, but not constant- can be happy sometimes if there's a reason (but there don't seem to be many reasons)

-Antisocial (don't appreciate human company usually)

-Talking to self (I've sort of made a personality out of the "response", and it's getting hard to tell the difference between the "other voice" and myself, though I know it definitely started out as just me to me)

-Paranoia (whenever I hear someone talking, but I don't know what they're saying, I get the feeling that it's something bad about me, even though I know rationally that it usually isn't)

-More thoughts of sex, less interest in it personally (I think about it way, way too much, but I'm not interested in it for myself)

-Fear of what's going to happen next (I get really nervous and anxious when I don't know what someone's reaction to something will be, or what someone is going to decide to do if it relates to me)

...I can't think of any more off the top of my head...

Anyway, here are my guesses as to what it could be. Keep in mind I'm using Wikipedia so I may not be perfectly on track. >_>

- Major Depressive Episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_epis...

-Atypical Depression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical_depression)

-Mixed Episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_state_(psychiat...

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any input. It'll help me fix whatever's wrong with me if I know what IS wrong. Thanks!

Oh, yeah, it might also be part Multiple Personality Disorder/Dissociative Identity Disorder. But I thought that only applied when the person was unaware of the other personality(s).

I'm 14. The last time my parents had me tested it was negative for ADD/ADHD, as well as OCD and Bipolar Disorder.

I am a kinesthetic/visual learner, though, so it may look like I'm fidgeting (OCD-like) when I'm just trying to move because it helps me learn (for example, drawing constantly.)

I have a very high IQ according to my parents, though not my grades, but I know that I'm definitely more intelligent than average.

I've ruled out MPD/DID for all practical purposes, it's just there as something to consider. I suck at remembering details but I don't have any missing time or anything. I just happened to talk to myself and then... give that other side of the conversation a name, face, age, design, personality... (Taylor, 18, punkish... etc). I guess it might be part of my being an artist, but since then it seems to have a mind of it's own... But I'm aware of it and what it's doing.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

I have OCD and ADD and I'm working on my bio-psych doctorate; I have to say that quite a bit of those symptoms sound like someone that is either bipolar or obsessive compulsive. Many people don't realize how similar these two conditions are genetically, I think that they are two different manifestations of the same underlying 'problem.' I say problem because if you don't recognize it then it can be a very serious problem, if on the other hand you take steps to better yourself, and you've just taken the first, then it's not in my opinion a disability or a negative condition. Intelligence is greater on average in people diagnosed with these conditions, and they also serve a distinct evolutionary purpose.

The talking to yourself could come from the constant state of doubt that one feels in these conditions, you try to think of how other people will react to you all of the time and you feel that people will judge you negatively possibly. The same goes for the paranoia, the antisocial tendencies, and fear of what's going to happen next. I recommend that you talk to your doctor or schedule an appointment with a psychologist, do you by chance have ADD or ADHD because these conditions have a strong positive correlation with OCD and bipolar disorder? Many, many intelligent and influential people had one or more of these conditions, think Thomas Edison. I wish you luck and shoot me a message if you have any more questions.

I just read the added details, do you have noticeable memory loss or has anyone in your family said that you did something that you have no recollection of whatsoever?

Zee

I would first ask how old you are? Because some of the symptoms you say you are displaying could be the growing up of your mind and maturity starting to set in. Again the environment that you are in may be influencing the thought pattern that you are having to deal with. I am not qualified to be a councilor but I would suggest that If your are in school check with the school nurse and see if there are counseling groups that you might want to join for help . This also lets you know that you are not the only one with the question on your mind. Books and on-line are good for references but to have a live person is better.

Good Luck and hang in there

You REALLY should get a professional to help you...obviously this is something that is getting progressively worse (due to the fact you cannot determine the voice to be your own or your imaginary friend)....We cannot help you the way you need to be helped...so stop waisting your time trying to self diagnose and make that appointment with a therapist...

Hey join the club. I am the same except for paranoia and talking to myself (or at least not aloud.)