Can anyone explain the Manson Murders to me?

I looked on wikipedia and it didn't help that much.

Can you tell me who he killed?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Hi -

That case and the whole story is something that would take forever to explain here...

Basically he was a deranged Cult leader who took advantage of the hippie/free love and naivety of teens and young people in the 60's, by first giving them the love they so lacked from their parents. (Right). He mainly drew women, and had 1 loyal male supporter.

They established a commune and he began, like most of his types, - by offering young women and some men a 'different path'... which ended up by running its' course, or changing when he began to talk to them about murder, mayhem, the establishment being out to get them, and slowly brainwashed with drugs and isolation - he ordered these young girls to go out and viciously murder several people, including Roman Polanski's pregnant wife, actress Sharon Tate.

These murders happened over several nights in the late 60's - Members of The Folger family (of the coffee name) were slaughtered in their homes also.

This is the best source to read about them. - The book "Helter Skelter" was written by the prosecutor, - Vincent Bugliosi and I found it to be the best one. You'll be amazed at the whole tale - he didn't start out as anyone special - but read the progression..(before and after) - right up until the present with updates on these 'women' today - all of grandmothers' age and real-life aunts begging to get out on parole, as well as see Charles Manson today. But start with the book.

Dateline NBC often updates us on what he's doing and how his 'former girls' are doing nowadays..

http://books.google.com/books?id=vIrB5r5BuhUC&dq=A...

Look on Amazon and ioffer.com for cheap deals on this book. I found several articles on Google also - just type 'articles on Charles Manson' or books, info.

Hope this helps..

Edit: Thanks Ms X - I'd forgotten about Trutv - I found an excellent site that explains A LOT more and gives you the names of the unfornunate victims..:

http://www.culteducation.com/manson.html

Source(s): Google (and the book Helter Skelter, Ameriican Justice on A&E, and my parents)

In the annals of crime, there might never have been a more bizarre motive for killing than that revealed in the 1970-71 trial of four Manson "Family" members. In the twisted mind of thirty-four-year-old Charles Manson, a wave of bloody killings of high-society types in Los Angeles would be the spark that would set off a revolution by blacks against the white establishment. When "blackie," as Manson called black people, proved unable to govern, they would turn to Manson and his tribe of followers, who would have survived "Helter Skelter" by hiding out in an underground cave in the Death Valley area of California while the chaos raged above.

Manson's vision never materialized. Instead, he and several of his followers found themselves convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to death in one of the strangest trials the strange state of California has ever witnessed.

• Ms. X

C'kins did an excellent job of explaining this. I wanted to add that almost all the young women he took into his "Family" had abusive, messed up home lives. Manson used cult like brainwashing and drugs to lure and keep these suggestable young people into his cult.

For more information, here's the link to TruTV's crime library online "book" on the Manson murders. http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/... I also recommend the book Helter Skelter, which I've read.

You might also want to read "The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout which does an excellent job explaining sociopaths. (Charles Manson is definitely a sociopath.)

he stabbed some pregnant woman in the gut. and i think he raped a 10 year old boy.