Savage Mark II or Marlin 925 .22lr?

which one is better

Favorite Answer

Never shot a savage mark II but my first rifle (many years ago) was a Marlin model 25, the predecessor of the 925. I wish I still had that little rifle. I would trade my M1A for it back (probably more for the memories). But as for the 925, I currently run a heavy barrel 917V which is the same gun but in .17HMR. It is my favorite gun in the safe (out of about 20, give or take as they trade in and out). The heavy barrel is good for sub MOA. The range I shoot does not go passed 100 meters so I have not used it passed that yet. It worked flawlessly to bag critters for dinner when camping and is comfortable to shoot. The bolt is not the smoothest until it gets broke in and even now it is a little tight to lock and open, but not unmanageable (hey it's a sub $200 rifle). The only thing I am going to change on it when I get the time is I will restock it. I am a bigger guy and it just seems a little short, but then again it packs well especially for a heavy barrel and my 12 Y/O daughter and 11 Y/O son shoot it and they don't have to stretch to reach anything. Happy shooting whichever you choose.

The Savage accu-trigger is full adjustable. It allows you to safely set the pull weight to anything you like. The result is that the trigger lets shooters wring the full accuracy potential out of their rifle, with some Mark II models being able to shoot sub 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. From what I understand Marlin is trying to do the same thing, but I haven't heard much about their trigger.

my vote is for savage. the savage has a better feel and finish for me. It is also more accurate when I was shooting it bench rested. My buddy had a 925 while I have a Mark II. Action on the 925 seems a little stiff also.

Both are very accurate rifles and they are pretty darn close to eachother in style.

Overall, the Marlin is the more solidly made rifle. It does have a horrible trigger and really needs a Rifle Basix (70 bucks) installed which is easy to do yourself.

Savage is made of cheaper flimsy parts but should hold up. It's advantage is that is already has a great factory trigger if you can get used to the accutrigger.

I think it's worth the extra cost to get the Marlin

both are really good guns, i personally love the savage i have owned savage for a while now and they have never failed me, the savage also has the accutrigger which is another bonus so i would have to say go with the savage.