promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
qtpie asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

your opinion on genetic engineering?

yes, this is an assignment- a BIG one. but i have really gotten into the subject, and would really appreciate any opinions on why it is beneficial to our society/environment, or why it is NOT.

i am writing a speech for each, here is the intro for the "against" speech:

While genetic engineering can be looked at as a possible way of the future, should we resort to these new ways just because we can? Many aspects of genetic engineering are risky and unsure, and therefore should not be used to experiment on the existing, natural life. Genetic engineering breaches natural species' boundaries and violates the natural integrity of species. Many scientists say that genetic engineering will help society, and provide more abundant food supplies, inexpensive medicines, and cures for currently untreatable diseases, and this could very well be possible, but the fact is that the risks of unstoppable plagues of disease or other environmental disasters outweigh possible benefits. Genetic engineering is unethical, impractical, and unnatural and shouldn't be a crutch to be leaned on by all living things.

thanks for your thoughts!!

(btw--freshman in high school)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Humans have been genetically engineering stuff for centuries!

Where do you think dogs/cows/pigs/sheep/corn come from? Domestication = genetic engineering.

Basically, the benefits vastly outweigh the costs.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I quite not think of roughly it... Genetic Engineering is an exceedingly great field...people who help it won't comprehend how substantially studied it somewhat is, and could be blind to the ethical questions it would desire to start to pose.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.