Derek
Derek asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Should the first female President be called "the first female President" or just President?

For the people who say that we shouldn't call Obama the first black President and just President, what will you say when a woman becomes President?

Will it be historic or will she just be another President? Just looking for a consistent answer. That's all.

Favorite Answer

President Obama is our first black President and a woman would be our first woman president. :)

Yes, the firsts will always be historic!

I am so happy and grateful that we have such a caring, smart, down-to-earth President and First Family!! :)

lol-the guy below me: Sha-nay-nay!!!!!!!! :)

I don't think a first woman president would be as historic as the first black president. anyway the first anything should be highlighted.

but there should come a time when it should be no surprise that a black got elected president or that a woman got elected president. we should be able to say yeah we had that before.

anyways we know why this is so historic really because it involves a man, a minority man. It seems inequality is only terrible when it in happens to a man, a black man, a native American man, jewish man or a gay man.

Why else do you think blatant racist, anti-semitic or homophobic commentary is always criticised and the person making the comment ridiculed or labelled a bigot. Sexist commentary barely causes an outrage, sexism has become acceptable. The presidential elections was one where sexism was so blatant, that if it were blatant racism there would be so much outrage

Your question clearly shows it, you seem to think if the president was a woman we would be more willing to say she was the first woman president than we are willing to say that Obama is the first black president. Wrong!

Those who don’t want Obama to be called the first black president are either racist or jealous the republicans didn’t win the elections.

Racism still exist nobody said it doesn't and that is why you have those refusing to call Obama the first black president. It seems more racist have come on yahoo answers ever since Obama won.

I do believe that sexism is a bigger problem because not only is sexism in the media accepted to the extent that we are used to it, a man of any race can be sexist. Only a white man can be racist.

I am a white man so I would know.

Edit in reply to Choc1, the first black man to win an oscar was called the first black man to win. many in the media not just the US but the world are calling him the first black president. only the lunatics here at yahoo answers are not doing that.

Edit black leopard what is your problem, you seem to be so anit-obama. republican right.

• Witchy

Mrs. President sounds good to me (if she's married).

No, I won't make a big deal over it when it happens. I vote on issues, experience and voting records. I don't care about genitals when considering a president. It's meaningless.

I work in a male-dominated profession. In a few companies I have been the first and/or the only female the company has ever hired for my position. I am insulted when this fact is brought up. That's nice I've earned the job but I'd rather be called a "machinist" than a "female machinist" or "first female machinist" when people refer to me. I'm just a machinist like anyone else. My gender has absolutely nothing to do with my experience or my performance in the job that I'm hired to do.

To me in all honesty, it would be another history in the making so I would call her the First Woman President. Why should a woman who gets to break that chain not be recognized for it the way Obama was.

• Choc1

Let's keep it real she would be known as the first female president because it would be a phenomenon. Moreover, people always have something to say about Blacks, so it's a double standard.

@ Mr Wizard,

I bet you didn't complain when Halle Berry was the first Black woman to win an Oscar for a leading role...she's biracial. I just find it funny that when it's a president people want to remind everybody that's he's half White, when they NEVER made an attempt to remind us about Halle Berry, Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz, Eartha Kitt etc.

It seems to me that people want to acknowledge Obama's White half when it's convenient for them. I'm just being honest, many Whites cannot telll if someone is biracial unless you tell them, because they subconsiously see White as "White".

Madame President.

Madam President or President Mackenzie Allen

For history sake, she would be the first female president , but she would be addressed as Madam President or President ?.

He is indeed our first black president but that doesnt mean that will will call him that. He will be referred to as Mr. President.

• It's an adjective!

It's not the official title. You need to relax.

Bush was a funny president, clinton was the 90's president, reagan was a tall president...geez I could go on forever....