Suggest a book to read? Historic, fantasy maybe sci fiction, something memorable!!?

I havent read a good book since I was a teenager mostly because I don't know what to look for. I like books that are set apart from everyday modern life. Things like historical novels (the ones written by modern authors, ive read most of jane austen and such) or a bit of fantasy (not too over the top and for adults, im in my 20's) even science fiction.... I dont know! Something memorable or one to get you thinking. Dont be worried about suggesting some classics, theres a good chance I havent read them.

Thanks!

• Best Answer

cold mountain by charles frazier....its like a zillion times better than the movie and has a sort of mystical air about it, and its history-ish too. its beautifully written, but the modern sense, so the words and sentences structures are familiar. the story is also fairly quickly moving

it was extremely memorable for me

Here are some excellent sci-fi books for teens: The Knife of Never Letting Go (the series is called Chaos Walking) by Patrick Ness Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card The Maze Runner by James Dashner (some fantasy elements, but I'd call it science fiction) Ship Breaker, by Paolo Bacigalupi Now for some good YA fantasy: Graceling by Kristin Cashore (some romance in this one) Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice series) by John Flanagan The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima Nation, by Terry Pratchett (parallel world in this one)

If you're not opposed to a bit of Science Fiction, try The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It contains just as much humor as Sci-Fi, and is probably the funniest thing I've ever read. There are five novels in the series, and at most bookstores you can find all five in one volume for about $20.

I just read Dawn by Elie Wiesel for one of my classes. It's a novel about a man who survived the Holocaust and was recruited by a resistance group in Palestine to essentially become a terrorist. In the book, the character goes through a great moral dilemma and it really made me think about how we as humans try to justify our actions, even when we know they are not right. It's a short read - 81 pages, but I couldn't stop reading it when I sat down.

I also read a book called Tiger Force by Michael Sallah (a journalist from my hometown). It's the true story of an Army task force during the Vietnam War. It shows the sheer brutality of war and the despicable things that our "heroes" did and were grossly praised for. It's interesting because the Vietnam War was glorified by the US media, but when one researches the truth, our own soldiers were committing war crimes and no one ever knew about it. The book is extremely disturbing at some parts (the first book that's ever really turned my stomach), but it's another really great read.

• lexi m

I like the author Lois McMaster Bujold who does sci-fi and fantasy. Her Vorkosigan series is really good. That's sci-fi. The first book is called "Cordelia's Honor" which is two books that were previously published as "Shards of Honor" and "Barrayar."

But....... I just picked up her fantasy book called "The Curse of Chalion." It's a series, too........ I haven't read it yet, but it got very good reviews on Amazon.

I just got the from the library.......

Also I really love the "The Year's Best Science Fiction"... and in 2008 it was the 25th edition of the series. It's a bunch of short stories that are usually really good...... or even if they are not good, they are short! :) Any of those editions usually make a good read.

Check them out in your library!

Source(s): Year's Best Science Fiction 2008 http://www.amazon.com/Years-Best-Science-Fiction-T...

If you want an adult-level fantasy/thriller that reads the way a Porterhouse steak eats, than I strongly recommend: S. & J. Weatherton's "Blood Prophecy".

The story is surrounded in historic intrigue and debuts in 1460 Romania, before evolving to 1908.

Horrid shape-shifters and a ravenous host of man-eating creatures are unleashed in this epic bestseller.

• BB

Good historical novels: Captain Corelli`s Mandolin and The Amber Room

Sci-fi...author Isaac Asimov

Source(s): Library

I recommend His Majesty's Dragon. Its set in England during the 1800's. It supposes an alternate time line that dragons do exist and are used as military personal. It's great for history buffs and fantasy lovers.

'Aghast' a horror suspense thriller

' Zero ' a suspense thriller

' Black Hole' a mystery suspense

These are available online on http://Englishnovels.net / or give search 'English novels' on any search engine