Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

What sort of treats do hamsters like?

I am getting a hamster tomorrow (actually two) and i have had them in the past but, that was a long time ago. So, I was wondering what kind of treats they like. I dont want to give them the wrong thing. They like fruit right?? Can they eat yogurt chips? They are usually for bunnies but, my ferret LOVES them.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi :)

Here's a good list - If your hamsters are going to be dwarf breeds, you'll need to skip any fruits and sweet treats like yogurt drops as they're prone to diabetes :)

Some suggested fruits and vegetables:

* apples (no seeds!)

* bananas

* blueberries

* broccoli

* carrots

* cauliflower

* cucumber

* dandelions greens

* grapes

* kale

* peas

* potato (cooked)

* romaine lettuce

* spinach

* strawberries

* sweet potato

* squash

Other treats:

* hay

* whole grain bread or toast

* whole wheat pasta (cooked)

* brown rice (cooked)

* whole grain cereal (no sugary cereal)

* meal worms

* crickets or

* small pieces of cooked chicken

* bit of hard boiled eggs

* nuts (no almonds; unsalted)

* unsalted peanuts

* pumpkin seeds

* lentils

* sunflower seeds

* plain air popped popcorn (no butter or salt!)

What to Avoid

* raw beans

* raw potatoes

* almonds

* citrus fruit

* garlic

* onions

* rhubarb leaves or raw rhubarb

* chocolate

* any sugary or salty foods

* any junk food

Source(s): 10+ years of hamster rescue and rehab :) http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hamstersgerbils/a/f...
  • 4 years ago

Hamster Treats

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What sort of treats do hamsters like?

I am getting a hamster tomorrow (actually two) and i have had them in the past but, that was a long time ago. So, I was wondering what kind of treats they like. I dont want to give them the wrong thing. They like fruit right?? Can they eat yogurt chips? They are usually for bunnies but, my ferret...

Source(s): sort treats hamsters like: https://bitly.im/QZ4dV
  • 1 decade ago

They can have yogurt chips, and also here is a list of their favorite fruits and veggies:

- All kinds of berries

- Banana

- Apple

- Celery

- Carrots

- Broccoli

- Lettuce

Other hamster treats:

- Nuts and seeds

- Dried fruits

Treats NOT to give your hamster:

- Orange and other citrus fruits( They're too acidic)

- Avocados(They're toxic to hamsters)

- Peanuts(They're to oily)

Hope I helped and have fun with your hamsters!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/qgZgf

My hamster loves unsalted peanuts, just the kind you buy at the store, no oils or salt added. She also likes cheerios, blueberries, cabbage, spinach, carrot, apple, banana, broccoli... I'm sure someone will post the list of hamster foods. No iceberg lettuce because it's low in vitamin content. I just give small quanties with the regular hamster food, like about a tbs or so cut up small. Just don't give anything too sticky or anything with sugar laden as they are prone to diabetes.

• 1 decade ago

Both root and green vegetables should be given, always raw and washed well. Some vegetables that are good for your hammy are:

broccoli

turnips

carrots

chicory

spinach

cauliflower (outside leaves and stalk)

parsley

cabbage

Brussels sprouts

lettuce (not iceberg lettuce)

You can also feed pieces of apple, pear, grape, and tomato, all in small amounts only.

Hamsters also like the occasional bit of milk, but again only in small amounts as it contains fat

Hamsters like to eat an occasional bit of protein. They love small amounts of plain meat such as chicken.you can also give hamsters eggs.

Hamsters eat cooked rice and pasta, and uncooked pasta but they seem to prefer it cooked. They like to eat pastry, cooked and uncooked. Cheese is popular in small amounts. Breakfast cereals are nearly always very popular.

You can give your hamster a variety of nuts, such as walnuts, brazils, almonds and hazelnuts.

When they are in the shells your hamster can chew at them to wear down his teeth, but you will normally need to crack them so that your hamster can eat the nut.

and you could also give your hamster yogurt drops.

Source(s): mommy of 2 chinese dwarf hamster
  • 1 decade ago

They can eat yogurt chips, but only one a day. They have tons of sugar in them, and will make a hamster obese. They love carrots, lettuce, and celery. I wouldnt give him bread though, its hard to digest and they can easily choke on it. Good Luck with your new hamsters!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, hamsters can eat some fruit-- but not all.They can't eat oranges, lemons or grapefruits or limes because they are too acidic. They can also eat cooked meat with no salt, unsweetened cereal, whole wheat bread and vegetables. And, YES, they can also eat yogurt chips.

• 1 decade ago

ooh that's nice.. well i have 2 hamsters this is what they love so much..

** sun flower seeds.

**Spaghetti (make sure it's not too long)

**carrots

**cucumber

* Corn Flacks as well :)

• 1 decade ago

veggies too especially carrots and of course a small piece of toast crust is always welcomed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.