Believers: If our worship of God and love for Him is paramount in the Ten Commandments, then why does Jesus..?

omit those first four commandments when He answers the rich young ruler's question about what good thing he could do to obtain eternal life?

It is curious that Jesus only mentions the commandments here that have to do with our relationships with other people and not God, who should come first in our hearts.

Why do you believe He did that?

(Matthew 19:16-26)

Update:

Swindled - if I've missed the whole point, then why don't you expound on what you know and share it with the rest of us?

Don't condemn anyone who is asking sincere questions.....

26 Answers

Relevance
  • BRoth
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Jesus knows the hearts and motives. He knew the heart of this rich young ruler. He also knew that the ruler wanted to justify himself by doing "all the right things". Jesus was dealing with him on a deeper level. So he gave him some (slightly) baited questions. Then, he sank the hook in to show the man how he was missing the purpose of the first four commandments (loving God) by having another god (money).

Jesus was really good at setting up learning experiences with others. When the Pharisees asked him all those questions, he knew their real motives. So instead of answering their questions, he'd do something to disturb their current understanding of the entire basis of their question!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He , Jesus , summed up the first five in the command to sell all that you have and give to the poor and follow me. The rich young ruler could not because he had made money his god , that is why he said harder is that of a rich man to enter in the Kingdom of God than a camel to go through the eye of a needle

• 1 decade ago

If you read the 22nd Chapter starting at verse 34,the answer is there, and that is that two main commandments are given and the rest will follow if you obey the two:

But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.

Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Which means that if you love God and your neighbor, everything else would fall into place. You wouldn't want to steal, kill, covet, lie, or worship other gods, you would also honor your parents.

• 1 decade ago

Call it a lead up to the real issue. God deals with us on a personal level, He knows our real issues here Jesus was showing this man that although he had kept all these commandments.

This young man had already done the first two, money was his other god, gaven image, Christ knew coveteousness was his sin. There may have been other things regarding the second two which aren't explained in this text but one thing is pointed out is that Christ knew his heart.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Context is everything. In this case, the rich young ruler had one glaring problem in his life - his love of material things. Hence Jesus's answer focused on that issue. If you read the verses carefully, you will see that the rich young ruler was already obeying those other commandments, hence Jesus did not repeat them in answer to the man's question.

• 1 decade ago

First...Jesus cared greatly about the peoples relationship with God. That is why He died, to reunite us with our Creator by destroying the separating power of sin. Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. The man loved his money more than he loved God. That was the point Jesus was making.

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Context. The man asked what "he" personally could do in order to inherit eternal life, and Jesus told him "keep the commandments". The conclusion of the matter in the narrative is that the man in actuality did not keep the ten commandments, and by extension, no one is able to keep that law and save themselves. It is by the power of God we are saved, and not by any effort of our own.

Matthew 19:23  ¶Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24  And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25  When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26  But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

• 1 decade ago

yes it is curious now that i see it. i give you my i always thought it thing.

i believe that Jesus has a way of understanding the core of the issue.

we are introduced to the man with a problem as rich young and a ruler.

in conventional accounting any one of those should grant him passage to heaven. but Jesus pointed out that none of those things that were valued here on earth carried any currency in heaven.

Jesus essentially told him that every thing he had and believed about himself was worthless to get into heaven.

i think that Jesus saw that if the man were to give up everything in this world and chose to seek heaven he would automatically be seeking GOD. then that as an additional or even primary motivator becomes a moot point. tmm

• jodie
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

the issue is what's worshiped. Jesus continually ordered those he healed to no longer worship him yet to thank God. He even pronounced people who accompanied him might have the flexibility to do extra suitable acts then he did yet that's downplayed while his loss of existence is taught because of the fact the explanation for his existence particularly than a thank you to convict and divulge what's evil. The Catholic concentration is incorrect because of the fact it became created to unify human beings mutually as Jesus taught seperation in that each and every individuals is to blame to God the daddy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

jesus was testing the fellas knowledge of the word of God. He had put up to Jesus He knew the word. He said," I did all that."Jesus asked him to sell all he had and give to the poor. It wasn't that he was rich and had to become poor to follow Jesus. He needed to have faith in the written word.Proverbs 19:17 says that if he had given to the poor, God would have repaid him. If he had listened to Jesus he would have wound up at least 30 times richer than he already was.Mark 10:29,30..

But he went away sorrowful. Because he trusted in uncertain riches.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.