Are Jane Austin books appropriate for...?

I am 13 and I love to read. Lately I have been reading classics more. I bought little women,the red badge of courage,treasure island,adventures of huckleberry fin, the collected poems of emily dickenson, and gulliver's travels. They aren't really hard for me to read or anything so don't worry about that. I want to get some Jane Austin books but I heard they go into too much detail in romance. Which Jane Austin books do you think would be appropriate for me? Thank you in advance. Also, if you happen to know, is it better to read Tom Sawyer before you read Huckleberry Finn? Thanks again.

Favorite Answer

ROFL! Jane Austen does NOT go into too much detail! Her stories are fully of witty and biting observations of the precise manners of her social world, and her romances are fairly intellectual and moral. Elizabeth and Darcy never even KISS (much less anything else!) in "Pride & Prejudice", except perhaps a peck on the cheek or his taking her hand. "Sense & Sensibility" has the heroine nobly suffering through her own aborted fledgling romance while her sister scandalously drives with another guy (and that's all they do, is drive). Hardly the steamy stuff of today's romance novels!

Start with Pride & Prejudice, go on to Sense & Sensibility, and then try Emma.

And definitely read Tom Sawyer before Huck Finn.

Well, all of her novels revolve around courtship and marriage, but she was not a sentimental writer, so there isn't a lot of mushiness in her books. I would suggest starting with Northanger Abbey, which is the shortest, or else with Pride and Prejudice, which is generally the most popular one.

And yes, you should definitely read Tom Sawyer before you read Huckleberry Finn. Both are great books, but quite different in tone, and Huckleberry Finn is in a way a sequel to Tom Sawyer.

There's nothing in Austen that you would consider innappropriate, so I hope you enjoy them. As for your other question, Tom Sawyer is to Huck Finn what the Hobbit is the the Rings novels- good fun, but little more than a 'trainer'.

i like all people who you like and extra... Sabriel by potential of Garth Nix (very reminiscent of Harry Potter in magic, yet no longer a style of strange imitations) Alanna:the 1st experience by potential of Tamora Pierce (a singular some lady posing to be a boy and finding out for knighthood.) Ummm... I normally could recommend Eragon, yet you have already examine it. inheritor obvious by potential of (the two Jane Yolen or Vivian Vande Velde) wish you get the prospect to purpose a number of those out sometime! =D

• Lomax

It's Austen, not Austin.

SInce you are a teenager, I firmly believe that the whole of human literature should be available to you; Austen, Bronte, Melville, Hugo, Dostoevsky etc.

Go ahead - and start with Pride and Prejudice.

They don't go into too much detail. I read them and I am 14, so I think you should be okay. I love them and recommend them. Sense and Sensibility was my personal favorite.