What are other considerations would you take into account if you were going to buy a new car?

Favorite Answer

First - total sales price - not monthly price

Never, ever mention how much you can affford monthly to a car salesman. You will lose your barganing power immediately!!!!

Focus on the sales price - don't even mention trade in.

When you are finally sitting down in an office with a firm offer on sales price, then you can talk financing.

Google "car affordability calculator"

find out how much you want to spend.

I would never spend more than 25% take home on a car.

Remember, talk sales price. Do not get their warranty. You will get a company warranty in the mail later - you can choose to ignore it if the car is running fine.

Be able to walk away. I was offered a nissan versa for 12,500. I talked them down to 10,500. I still walked away. They called me back the next day. I got it for 9,900. HAGGLE, HAGGLE, HAGGLE.

Note: I was paying 100% cash, easier to haggle.

/

Ergonomics:

is it comfortable to sit in and are the controls easy to reach and use,

can I drive it for over 2 hours and still be comfortable when I get out,

can I see all four corners so that I can park it,

is the boot big enough for all predictable needs + 25%.

Performance:

is the engine happy at 70 mph for long periods,

is the acceleration good (acceleration between 50 and 80 is more important than top speed or 0-60 time),

can it stop quickly and safely.

Whole life costs, including:

insurance group, tax band, annual servicing cost,

fuel consumption (miles per gallon or litres/100km), tyre life (expect at least 30000 miles) and replacement cost, service interval (expect at least 10000 miles),

size of car's road "footprint" compared with it's actual usable capacity (i.e. is it a bulky thing that will be tricky to manoeuvre and park but is quite small inside?).

Safety and security:

high NCAP rating,

Thatcham cat 3 security built in.

Colour:

Not yellow, that's yucky,

Not white, it shows up the dirt,

Not silver, too common.

Since you didn't give any ocnsiderations in your question, here is what I would consider. First and foremost, I would never consider a brand new car - always used. You can get some great deals on like new, used cars.

Next, I would save to pay cash for that new-to-me used car. Who needs a car payment? Buy what you can afford, then save up to upgrade when you have enough money to do so.

• jenna

mpg

how much you can afford in a monthly payment

how much it would cost to insure

is it the right size- like if you had kids could they easily get in/out

is it reliable- made by someone like honda/toyota

is it a good deal- look at different dealerships and compare

some cars are better to buy a few years used because they are much cheaper. however, cars like honda and toyota that hold their value very well, you might only be spending an extra $1,000-2,000 for it to be brand new, in that case it is worth it to get it brand new and have piece of mind that nobody messed with it. (my brother has driven like a maniac in brand new cars, then traded them in and the person buying has no idea what the engine/brakes/suspension has been through).

• (1) Finance Charge (if any) and your payments per month

(2) Which options are important to you? Heated seats, electronic windows and seats, type of CD player

(3) Built in GPS (which is not worth the cost)

(4) Tell them to add the car mats for free

(5) Warranty how long miles/years

(6) Dont get a donut in the trunk - get a full tire

(7) Free maintenance for 1 or 2 years? Not sure how long you can get it for

Hope this helps!!! I have negotiated cars for my whole family!!! So i know how to deal with sales guys!!! :)))

What are the considerations you already have? We need to know what 'other' conditions to compare yours to.

Some of the things I've starting looking at in a car - considering the times we are going through - is the MPG it gets.

The cost of the insurance and tax on the car.

• npk

Other considerations besides what?