America was founded by Christian men?

"Lighthouses are more useful than churches" -Benjamin Franklin

"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on men." -Thomas Jefferson

I can give more if needed, I just want to set the record strait, and wonder why Christians are so intent on re-writing history.

Hey AA ~ that "initial statement" was a question, as in, "Christians, you really think America was founded by Christian men?" - but I didn't have enough space.

Kenny P - I love reading apposing view-points. Basking in like-mindedness only is like a circle-jerk - sometimes you need to go out and get some strange.

Best Answer

Well said!!!

The United States was NOT founded by Christian men...

Only an EXTREME MORON would believe something this retarded.

The VERY FIRST AMENDMENT of the constitution is based on the Separation of church and state. The paramount reason why the forefathers came to this country was for religious freedom. They listed it as their top goal in forming America.

As a matter of fact most of the fore fathers weren’t even Christian, but deist, atheist and agnostic. I could cite thousands of quotes which p*ss on this lie from Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Paine, etc. but I shouldn’t need to, considering the reading of the constitution is a 4th grade curriculum requirement.....

Many Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence.

May I refer all those who do NOT believe this to the Treaty of Tripoli?

Treaty of Tripoli. In Article 11, it states:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries

So.... there you have a clear admission by the United States in 1797 that USA government did not found itself upon Christianity

I hope this settles this argument...

...... I'm not even American & I know this!!!!!

No. Most of the Founding Fathers were Deists, not Christians. Deists believe that a higher power created the universe, then stepped away. In other words, there are no rules handed out by the supreme being, and there is no Bible. Deism is a far cry from Christianity. The New World was all about religious freedom, which means there is NO official religion. PERIOD.

• Barry

Most of the founding fathers were Deists, folks who did believe in a God, but believed that he left it alone after Creation, and thus were NOT Christians.

Two of the "Founding Fathers" to be elected President were actually Atheists, as well, President James Madison, and President John Adams.

Charismatic Fundamentalist Christians want to make the country into a theocratic state, seeing the removal of the separation of Church as a holy duty.

They realize that the more people who falsely think that the nation was founded upon "Christian Principles" will mean less people objecting to them subverting the laws and principles of the Nation.

• Mia

Jill cracked me up. I think she must be a troll.

I did want to add that while there may have been Christians they were a diverse group with many open minded members devoted first to intellectual freedom. Jefferson was a deist for example, not a Christian. Those who doubt can also read Thomas Paine's work "The Age of Reason" which makes it clear he was not only not Christian himself but highly critical of its claims.

"The Christian God can be easily pictured as virtually the same as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, evil and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed, beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of the people who say they serve him. The are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

-- Thomas Jefferson

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."

-- James Madison

I like that first quote of Jefferson's

According to "The Churching of America," a history of religious adherence in the US, church attendance and membership were at an all-time low in the eighteenth century. Fewer than one in five Americans attended church. One in three couples had their first child a few months after the wedding. The idea that the early US was a pious, overwhelmingly Christian group is completely false.

Sure, these quotes are correct and yet these men were Christians making a point about their own religion. Not unlike today, many people speak their mind about some of the effects of their own religion.

Christians have no need to re-write history, every, single founding Father was a Christian.

Btw, it is "set the record straight" not 'strait'.

Note what Washington said about his fellow Americans in his Farewell speech: "With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, etc"

That religion was Christianity.

Lilith Raven, totally absurd answer. Talk about re-writing history, geeez.

Btw, Lilith Raven, I believe I can read the same you should be able too, were the founders Christians. Not was this nation founded as a Christian nation.

Also, btw, Lilith Raven, did you get to see the totally Christian inauguration today?

drow_bat... , and now you even change the meaning of the term 'deist', that beyond ridiculous.

Source(s): For this you have every inducement of sympathy and interest. Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that country has a right to concentrate your affections. The name of American, which belongs to you in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of patriotism more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion, manners, habits, and political principles. You have in a common cause fought and triumphed together. The independence and liberty you possess are the work of joint councils and joint efforts, of common dangers, sufferings, and successes. George Washington's Farewell Address, in part.* George Washington said the following in a speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs on May 12, 1779: "Brothers: I am glad you have brought three of the Children of your principal Chiefs to be educated with us. I am sure Congress will open the Arms of love to them, and will look upon them as their own Children, and will have them educated accordingly. This is a great mark of your confidence and of your desire to preserve the friendship between the Two Nations to the end of time, and to become One people with your Brethren of the United States. My ears hear with pleasure the other matters you mention. Congress will be glad to hear them too. You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are. ..."

You are a very wise and learned Wombat indeed!

Were you Fatso the Big Arsed Wombat who was the Mascot of the Australian Olympic Team in 2000?

Source(s): Just Curious!

thomas jefferson, like many christians these days, found the church to be corrupted, he actually took the gospels and used them ONLY as his bible.

Benjamin Franklin, also found the reputation of the church to be lacking, while still giving credit to God Almighty for his work

John Adams, made several speeches in which he commended God or the Creator for the greatness of this country, while still maintaining that religion was corrupt.

it is possible to be a believer in God, while feeling let down by the institution of religion.

I happen to be one of those people.

Many of the founders of the US were actually Deists. Some went to church with their wives and family, but if you study things they wrote, you will clearly see their thoughts on the Bible & religion.

Quite a few were also Masons.