What is the difference between sarcasm and sardonicism?

The dictionary gave one of those unhelpful definitions, so I'm looking for more of an explanation/example.

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

The two words are virtually synonymous.

"Sarcastic" implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing <a critic known for his sarcastic remarks>.

"Sardonic" implies scorn, mockery, or derision that is manifested by either verbal or facial expression <surveyed the scene with a sardonic smile>.

To be "sardonic" is, perhaps, a bit more subtle than being "sarcastic." You do not often hear mention of a "sarcastic" facial expression.

One who makes sarcastic remarks is exhibiting more bitterness than one who is merely being sardonic, I'd say.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

The dictionary gave one of those unhelpful definitions, so I&#39;m looking for more of an explanation/example.

Source(s): difference sarcasm sardonicism: https://biturl.im/HBge7

sardony the better noun, and connotation to me is that sarcasm more mean, sardonic maybe a little gentler; I often tease like "let me know how that works out" or "shocker"; somewhere between ironic and sardonic? Phi Beta Kappa Yale English major; not dummy I if I focus, tho do get less sharp by the minute.

Sarcasm means "Witty language used to convey insults or scorn". To be sardonic means "To be disdainfully or ironically humorous; scornful and mocking" (The word 'Sardonism' does not appear in the Oxford dictionary). So, based in the word "malicious", sarcasm gets my vote.

Sardonicism