Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 1 decade ago

DO you know about mexico?

Mexico has not formally been a colony for nearly two centuries. Still, many observers think the legacy of imperialism is a major factor in Mexican life today. Do you agree? Why (not)?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely. Mexico has been subject to the imperialism of European Expansion which was all the rage in the 1500s, 1600s, and even early 1700s. The race for Mexico as well as the rest of the new world was fueled by a believed abundance of natural resources, primarily precious metals that could promote wealth in the old "mother" countries and perhaps tilt the balance of power in the countries favor. As Spaniards overtook the Mexican landscape, they greatly modified it giving it the seeds for modern civilization and creating the demographic that is known as the Mexican people of today. A light skinned race to the north and swarthy shorter race to the south and a mixture in the middle.

Further effects of the legacy of imperialism are noticed in the "Manifest Destiny" of the United States in the 1800s to expand American borders from sea to shining sea. Mexico lost about half of its territory that included california, nevada, new mexico, arizona.

I hope this helps, if it does, I'd appreciate the ten points, thanks!

Source(s): Dual Citizenship, own businesses in both countries, lived in both countries all of my life.
    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.