Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jim asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

How did the Romans adopt the Greek alphabet?

Was the Greek alphabet (altered Phoenician alphabet) adopted by the Romans by force, through trade, or by some other means?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Ancient Romans (those who first started the Roman Empire) lived in southern Italy, around where Rome is today. This part of the Italian peninsula probably did a lot of trading and fighting with its neighbor, the Greek islands. Through this interaction, cultural exchanges were made; one of which was the Cumea alphabet (a variety of the Greek alphabet). The Romans and the Greeks then became two very distinct nations, and as such, their alphabets evolved differently, even though both started out the same.

That's what I'm getting via Wikipedia, but I'm not an expert in this matter. If anyone knows anything more (or different), feel free to correct me.

• 1 decade ago

uh didnt the Romans started like the latin alphabet that we use now?! I dont think they used the Greek alphabet, but they used words from Greek to form new words...like "alpha"bet

Source(s): my head
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.