Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Would churches be less fearful of the Evolution Theory, if they respected their youth more by giving them a ?

more thorough accurate knowledge of the Bible from early on, instead of just teaching them Bible stories, many of which are historically inaccurate?

If all churches taught children, from an early age, just like the Jehovah's Witnesses do, the whole Bible, they would be better prepared for studying Evolution. I found Evolution fascinating, as it gave me a better understanding of the development of the various species from the base stock carried on the Ark.

I didn't challenge my Biology teacher, as I was there to learn, and I was firm in my belief of the Truth. A Pentecostal friend did, but only with, "because the Bible said so". Drove the teacher crazy. That was 1970.

Fear is when the churches demand the schools teach what they should have been teaching all along.

I didn't say the Bible was inaccurate, only that Bible stories fed children lack accuracy. One example, no Bible says that anyone except the shepherds were there to witness Jesus in the manger. The others arrived to find a boy in a house.

Favorite Answer

I'm not afraid of evolution.

I've taken on a dozen or more evolutionists at a time and found that they can't hold a candle to someone with a background in science.

For you to impute fear where it doesn't exist is infantile.

Wow, i truly believe that many bible stories are historically inaccurate, and I guess that is because of all the change that has occurred with the Bible to date. Also, no offence, but if your religion were true, there would be good reasoning behind any biblical rules. I am Shia Muslim, and any rules/regulations given by the Quran have good reasoning behind them.

First of all, you have to have a correct translation, you can't just go ask some random person who knows Arabic to translate for you. It's actually not that easy. It is also unchanged. Therefore, you need to think yourself sometimes if something makes sense, and if there is true reasoning behind it. Basically, there is not point of teaching inaccurate Bible stories to church youth. Also, look and truly see if there is reasoning behind what is stated in those stories. One argument is that of alcohol being allowed (drink-wise). You see where the world has gone because of that? Muslims don't drink, and you can see that one thing that doesn't really happen with Muslims is drinking and driving. The prophets did were instructed in many ways by God, and God obviously cannot be questioned. When you look at all the terrible affects of drinking nowadays, do you realize maybe why it was a sin to drink earlier on? Things that seem good aren't always good. Saying this, I mean that drinking may not have seemed like such a bad thing earlier on, but God probably had said no to drinking knowing what will come of it in the future right? That is an example of what came to be of a historically inaccurate Bible story, and that inaccuracy has caused much chaos and sin in modern world. I believe that the churches should definitely try to understand what they're teaching, and realize if it truly makes sense.

The bible is not very accurate, it changes over time with new generations. I feel that the bible is a religious view on science, sort of biased. Take for example, back in the day---the church stated that all the planetary movements revolved around the earth, came to find out that Copernicus and Galileo were right to what we have today, the earth revolves around the sun. Evolution was discovered by Darwin, he was not a firm believer in the the church. The bible/priest/etc, depending on who they are they accept the new discoveries in scienc or they don't. The bible in itself is a theory, no one really knows what happens after death if we go to heaven or hell. The bible is comfort book for those who need faith. Faith is good to have.

I agree with you, they should definitely teach on the background of the bible to students early on. Background other then "the book is correct" . I do believe that it would prepare students more for science classes and government classes. I find it super funny when you have religous students in the class arguing "because the bible said so".

Evolution equals the substitute in allele frequency in a inhabitants over the years. 12 words - and that's the actual, comprehensive, total definition in accordance to Biology textbooks all around the rustic. EDIT: the assumption of evolution states genuinely no longer something with reference to the muse of existence, or the muse of the universe. it is barely a depiction of what has befell when you consider that existence has existed. Any extra bags are strawmen further by way of Creationists - no longer biologists.

One thing is true, knowledge is power and all children should be taught to learn as much as they can.

If the Bible is true, then it will stand (unfortunately, it has lost on most to all events prior to the Kingdom of David, but who's counting.)

And as an aside, the world is waiting with baited breath for the peer reviewed papers of these creationist debaters.

• howdy

What Bible stories are inaccurate? I'm curious.

The Bible is the Word of God and He alone is the Creator of everything there is and will be.

• Sam G

Children should not be taught the bible. They should be taught to be good people and then they can make the choice to join Christianity or any other Religion if they so choose.

i'm 15.. i've already read the Bible cover to cover. as well as many other religious books. and i learn about evolution in biology.. shockingly, i'm not scared though. what was your point again?

What? I am not sure what you are asking. People would better understand evolution if they were able to separate it from religion and not take those stories literally.