What is ecological deficit ?

I'm currently taking an environmental science class and could use some clarification on the following, relating to ecological deficit: A) Describe how a country’s ecological deficit could be related (or not) to the dominant energy usage of that country. B) Besides energy usage, what are three other... show more I'm currently taking an environmental science class and could use some clarification on the following, relating to ecological deficit:

A) Describe how a country’s ecological deficit could be related (or not) to the dominant energy usage of that country.

B) Besides energy usage, what are three other factors that affect a nation’s ecological deficit?

C) What are at least two approaches from class for eliminating the USA’s ecological deficit over time and two shortcomings for each approach?