How do I practice 1 John 1:9?

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

I know how Catholics interpret this verse (going to confession) but I'm confused how other branches of Christianity practice 1 John 1:9

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

My path believes that confession of one's sins is only part of the answer in seeking forgiveness.

Recognizing one's faults (okay, sins).

Feeling remorse for having committed them.

Desiring to be rid of them (and the guilt that having committed them carries)

Confessing them to God and those whom you have offended (if possible).

*Restitution (where possible) of that you have taken

If the sins are of a serious enough nature, confessing them to a religious authority and where applicable to secular authority (where you broke the law).

Accepting whatever "punishment" is dictated to absolve the sin (prison, being denied fellowship, etc.)

Determining never to commit the sin again.

Forgiving yourself.

*In some instances, it is impossible to make restitution. In those cases one must lean on the Savior for mercy and accept him as your personal savior.

Obviously, any transgression or act that brings hurt or harm to another must be considered to be a "sin" against that person. It may be nothing more than an unkind word spoken in anger. As such, involving authorities (ecclesiastical and secular) are not important, only making things right between you and the person you have hurt.

My path follows this practice.

• 1 decade ago

Confessing your sins is nothing more than recognizing your action as sinful and admitting this to God and asking Him to take that sin away and keep you from doing it again. You don't need a priest to do this, you just need to be honest with yourself and God. If you are honestly repentant of your sin, God will forgive you. This goes hand-in-hand with the verse that tells us we will be forgiven by the same measure we use to forgive others. If your heart is right with God, it will be easy. If not, you'll be looking for excuses for things you know inside are sinful, and your pride will get in the way of forgiveness.

• 1 decade ago

John 11:35

• 1 decade ago

As you said, you know how Catholics interpret this verse. You have to go into a booth with a priest and say "Bless me Father for I have sinned....." In the New Catholic Edition of the Bible, Matthew 23:9 says "And call no one on earth you father, for one is your Father, who is in heaven." Hypocritical? You decide.

Most people are familiar with the Lord's Prayer, or Our Father, found in Matthew 6. Part of that prayer is for forgiveness of sins. In the verses just before that prayer, Jesus says to go into your private room and pray to your father in secret.

Having said that, James 5:14-16 brings out that one who is spiritually sick can call the older (or mature) men in the congregation to pray over him, and the prayer of faith will make the sick one well. This verse also encourages us to openly confess our sins to one another and pray for one another.

Now, the trick is to find an organization that actually adheres to Christ's teachings regarding the confession of our sins.

One last thought: Proverbs 28:13 - "He that is covering over his transgressions will not succeed, but he that is confessing and leaving them will be shown mercy" (depending on the translation you havem the wording my differ, but the idea will be the same.)

Hope this helps!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Confess your sins to Jesus Christ and turn from them. This is also known as repentence. Your life with God is like walking. If you do what God asks through His Word, read your Bible, pray, and give thanks (all of these things daily) you are taking a step toward God per each obedient act. If you sin, you are taking a step back. It is just as important to turn from your sin as it is confessing them. When you are continually seeking out God you will feel love, peace, joy, and a closeness to Him like never before, and it can always grow. Don't let satan tell you that you can only go so far. God bless your journey with Him.

Source(s): My own experience.
  • 1 decade ago

It simply means that you confess any wrong doing (either word or deed) when it actually happens. You repent immediately and asked God to help you not do it again. You will be forgiven the minute you confess that sin. You can confess your sin(s) to Father God anytime, anyplace, anywhere. in Jesus name.

• 1 decade ago

Non-Catholics would practice it in the same way as the Catholics without the middle man (we don't need to go to a confessional to talk to God and ask for forgiveness).

• 1 decade ago

even as a catholic, i believe we can go directly to god. confession is a convenience. we get feedback from a priest, and advice on how to avoid sin. but awareness is very essential. you must want to change your behavior. sometimes this only happens when we have external consequences. but asking for god's forgiveness is all that is necessary.

as long as it is heartfelt and genuine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since Jesus taught us in His sermon on the mount to pray to the Father (the Lord's Prayer) then we should confess our sins to God as well.

• 1 decade ago

when jesus died on the cross he bridged the gap between us and God. we no longer need an intercessor. its between us and God the father. we confess to Him our sins. If we have already invited Christ as our personal savior then God wipes our sins out of the Book of Sins with the blood and it is covered and remembered no more. He listens to us when we pray. a priest committs sins just like all of us and is no more fit to pray for us than anyone else. (No offense)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.