What are the first steps in starting a cleaning business?

I was looking in starting a commercial cleaning business and wanted to know the first steps to get my self started as licenses, permits, etc. I am also going to be running it out of my home. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

A cleaning business-whether residential or office-is a terrific way to have a stable income. And you're smart to investigate before you try and get clients!

Here's some beginning steps:

1. Check with your city or county clerk's office to see if you need a business license of fictitious name license. These are inexpensive ($25-$50) and usually last 3 or more years;

2. Then, call around to insurance companies and compare prices for liability insurance (sometimes called bond). This protects you if something breaks or gets damaged while you're on the job. And, yes, sometimes you didn't so it, but with this you can keep a client! AND, when you can say to potential clients, "I have liability insurance" it not only makes you professional, but adds confidence. It shouldn't cost more than around $100/yr for $100K coverage (you don't need more than that for now);

3. Call existing cleaning companies, pretend to be a potential customer, to find out the going rates and services provided;

4. NOW, make a nice flyer and/or introductory letter about your service and start knockin' on doors, so to speak!

This is a general start. There is lots of information available for you below......

Start An Office Cleaning Business!

thanks for the info