Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Why do geldings make a weird noise when they trot?

My friend told me it was because of their sheath, but I don't understand how it could be.

Also, what is a sheath, I know it's something on the horse's penis but idk about anything else.

And do stallions do it or is it just the geldings?

Majke the noise.

it's like if you made an "uh sort of moise in your throat, kind of like your swallowing.

It's hard to describe, and it's rythmic, not like a random pattern of noise.

Yeah, it sounds like it's coming from their hindquarter area.

Favorite Answer

I have never heard gelding make a weird noise when they trot, and I have worked with and owned several geldings and some stallions. Perhaps you could try describing what you are hearing?

The sheath is not on the penis, it is the 'tubular fold of skin' that covers the penis when the penis is retracted, and it helps protect the penis.

And do stallions do "what"?

~Edit...Oh, ok... it is supposedly just trapped air and/or the movement of air in the horse's sheath and scrotal area...and it can occur in both geldings and stallions...though, personally, I've never heard it/noticed it in any of the horses I've worked with/around...

~Wow...thumbs down for being honest and telling it like it is...what, do you think I lied about what a sheath is, or about working with horses that don't make a funny noise when they trot? Yep, that's what I did...I wanted to see if you all would catch me at it....jeez, grow up trolls...

Are you talking about a vocal noise, or the noise that sometimes comes from their hindquarter area? I've had several geldings that have had the hindquarter sound and no one could give me a definitive answer. Some have said that it's caused by air pockets in spaces that are usually taken up by female reproductive organs on mares and that's why mares don't do it. Same basic idea as a human 'armpit fart' :) just air being pushed out of a space.

And the sheath is the 'bag' the penis descends from. When you're looking at a gelding, the sheath is what you see unless they've 'dropped' or 'extended' their penis out of it.

I understand what your asking.

Like someone else said. "The sheath is not on the penis, it is the 'tubular fold of skin' that covers the penis when the penis is retracted, and it helps protect the penis."

Geldings and Stallions can make this noise. It is caused from either a dirty sheath, or a very very clean sheath. As said by my vet.

You can hear this noise alot when your riding trotting.

I am not a vet, so unfortunately I don't know the technical terminology. One theory is that air gets trapped inside the sheath and causes the noise. My gelding will do it once in a while. I have not found that it is connected to his being nervous. Some horses do it more often than others, some don't do it at all.

It is the sound of air getting 'stuck' up there (for lack of a better term). All geldings and stallions do it sometimes. Some people will also say that it is caused by a dirty sheath, but that is not always fact.

That nose is the same nose that studs also make. . . One trainer at a barn I knows says it may be a nervous reaction/sound that they make with their sheath. Another trainer I know says it's just a sound they make, no real one reason for it.

I've only known one gelding to do that sound you're refering to, all the other geldings I know/been around have never made it, before a month ago I never knew geldings made it, I thought/believed it to be a stallion thing.

( I dun know if it's me that's so sad that I know what sound your refering to with out needing you to explain more)

Source(s): *smile sunshine is good for your teeth*

it is the penis moving back and forth in the sheath. Stallions do it as well. It is nothing to worry about. But on the topic of sheaths if you have a gelding the sheath should be cleaned at least every 6 months they get pretty nastey otherwise.

Horse Noises

Its their sheath making the noise

I think its when air gets trapped in there. My gelding does this.

haha, its the skin that holds the penis, and yes geldings do make that noise (some do) its the air entering and exiting when they trot. Its weird but its COMPLETELY normal

Source(s): 10 years of riding problem horses, and my trianer was a vet tech and close friends are vets.