Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

So, I was reading my Bible today, John 3:16, actually, and came across this WEIRD word...?

It didn't seem to say anything about eternal torment or anything like that at all, it just said, "perish." What's that word mean, "perish?" I guess...I guess it means "to burn in torment for eternity," right? Is that right? I mean, I thought it meant to simply die...

...What? What's that? You mean...no kidding!? Really!? It really DOES mean to simply cease to exist as a conscious being? Oh my God! Wow!? You don't say! Well...wait a sec...wait just a minute. Then...then where did Christians get all this...erm, you know..."eternal torment of unrepentant human sinners" from, anyway?

I mean, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...I'm SURE it's in there SOMEwhere...but wait...WHERE IS IT!? I can't find it anywhere! Hmmmmm...Maybe it...maybe...maybe it's not in there ANYWHERE!? We have GOT to get down to the bottom of this...What...um, what do YOU think? :P

Ya' think, um...ya' think MAYBE somebody...no, that would never happen, would it? You don't think somebody may have just...Oh, I don't know, interpreted something incorrectly? Just maybe? No, of course not. How could the vast majority of Christians be wrong? Inconceivable, I say, right?

Pfft..."perish." It's a stupid word anyway. I NEVER liked it, myself. Stupid, stupid word, right?

Best Answer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

perish

Verb

1. to be destroyed or die

2. to cause to suffer: we were perished with cold

3. to rot or cause to rot: to prevent your swimsuit from perishing, rinse it in clean water before it dries [Latin perire to pass away entirely

take note of 2

I'm not a Christian but I love words and I hate it when people rant inanely. I sort of enjoyed your ill informed melt down though.

It's funny when atheists think Christians should entrust them with the responsibility of properly interpreting the Bible- ie. something they don't care about in the first place.

Really though, I wish people like you would allow the amount that you care about the Bible to govern the amount of stuff you say about its interpretation. If you care a good deal about it, by all means ask questions and explore it. If you don't give a crap, act like it and just don't say anything.

Think about it this way: Both theists and atheists care a good deal about the question of God's existence. You hear a lot from those groups. Agnostics just don't know and, by definition, choose to hold or have eventually acquired the "don't know" position. And apparently, they don't care enough to decide one way or the other on the question. So you don't hear very much at all from them in the existence of God debate.

Likewise, there are people who truly care one way or the other about how the Bible is interpreted. The Bible means something to them, and its proper interpretation is important to some people. For you, though, the Bible means nothing and its interpretation is relatively unimportant. You don't really care, and yet you've posted something that ostensibly cares about the proper interpretation of Scripture. I'm suggesting that this post is inconsistent with your fundamental beliefs concerning Scripture as a whole. I know good and well that you don't really care if the Bible is interpreted properly- it's worthless to you either way. That's why I suggest you behave a bit more like an agnostic in a debate about the existence of God. Be a non-participant or uninterested observer. It's a better choice in this situation.

The word 'perish' is a very suitable word to be part of John 3:16. If you want Christian's further scriptural basis for believing in Hell, look at 2Thessalonians 1:9

"These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power,"

no nothing was misinterpreted

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Rev 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascends up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receives the mark of his name.

In John 3:16 you are using the english definition of perish. The greek word has many meanings. It means to destroy, die, to lose, to mar, to perish.

Perish has many definitions to destroy, to weaken, to deteriorate, to spoil, to become ruined.

So it does not always mean to cease to exist. The bible teaches people will exist in hell and be tormented forever.

Some people are repulsed by the idea of eternal life because their lives are miserable. But eternal life is not an extension of man's miserable, mortal life; eternal life is God's life embodied in Christ, given to all believers now as a guarantee that they will live forever. In eternal life there is no death, sickness,enemy,evil,or sin. When we don't put Christ in charge, we make choices as though this life were all that we had. In reality, this life is just the introduction to eternity.Receive this new life by faith and begin to evaluate all that happens from an eternal perspective.

Mal 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Mar 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Jud 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

========

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Actually it's in there in a lot of places but to find it one must read more that John 3:16.

• ?

Not if you are a non-believer because that is their destiny. Perish means to rut.

It is really a bit odd.

parish is another word for church.

A parishoner is a person that goes to church.

Really, I have not gone to church for years since I heard that, I thought it said if you do not parish, that is go to church, you will have everlasting life,

Does this mean I have to go back to church now??

Source(s): MM

good point but what was the original word and meaning of said word? I know i answer questions withn questions

Source(s): I'm a doctor