Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicCountry · 1 decade ago

Waylon Jennings fans, have you read his autobiography? ?

I'm kind of on the fence about reading it. There's this mystique surrounding Waylon that I'm afraid of ruining for me. I have almost every song he ever recorded, but I don't know too much about the man called hoss. To quote Robert Plant on Elvis, "Once upon a time, all we knew about Elvis was that he sang like a motherf*cker. And that was all that mattered. You know, when you gas up and you go to pay inside the gas station and you hear Elvis singing 'Surrender,' you know that the mystery of that guy, at that time, was everything. The voice and the mystery and the not knowing. And I think the great thing about anything that you hear over the waves is, you don't want to know too much, you know?" Do you get what I'm saying here?

So, what did you think of the book overall?

Favorite Answer

I have and have actually read it twice and will read it again. Of all the autobiographies I have, Waylon''s is my most treasured. It is exceptionlly well written and showcases his story telling ability. It takes you from his very humble beginnings, his musical beginnings, his ups and downs, his misgivings and above all his love for the music.

Yes, there are some things that may be disappointing to some to read if they are not familiar with his personal life but in the end I found myself that much more endeared to him than I was already. It shows his respect for his peers and his high regard for all he was involved with. Though he had some low points in his life and yes, he did drugs, he never harmed anyone, disrespected them or placed judgement on them with the exception of a very small minority.

It gives you some great insight on how the music business operated in his day and truly shows his wit and humor that he maintained through it all. I can't help but admire him and overall, the book just cemented how much respect I have for him when it comes to "the man". His love for his family, friends and children and grandchildren shine through it all. He never treated anyone badly or unjustly other than himself and when you are done reading it, you understand why so many people adored him.

He is very open and honest about everything in his writing. You feel as though you are in the room talking with him. It's a wonderful book and I can't recommend it enough to anyone who has any interest in Waylon at all. Even those that are not country music fans would get a lot out of this book considering all the mileage he covers in it.

I haven't read the book, but have followed his career since the '60s. I doubt if you're going to read anything huge that hasn't already been in the news. IMO he was a terrific entertainer and singer, and a real good guitar player...Fender guitars even has a Waylon Jennings model guitar...quite an honor for the Jennings family.

I have not read it, but I would not be against reading it. I love Waylon Jennings, and since you seem to like him too, i would think you would be eager to find out as much about him as possible. I don't think you would be let down by it at all.

I've read it,and it's very good. And there isn't much in the book that you probably don't know already. I mean he wrote songs about his drug use so it's no secret. It shows a very human side as well as he admitted to mistakes he made,and also talks alot about friendships lost over the years. It's good if your a fan of his I suggest you read it. I read it in about 2 days,because I couldn't put it down.

No, I haven't read it.

Source(s): Don't be disappointed in him for being a human being, with weaknesses and flaws just like everyone else. I still think he is a very gifted Artist. Do you know he was suppose to be on the same airplane with Buddy Holly? The airplane that crashed? We almost never even got to know his talent.