In your opinion: Who are the most OVERRATED and the most UNDERRATED country artists?

Just curious to see what everyone has to say. I have my own personal feelings.

Doesn't matter what era or whether it's a group or an individual.

Feel free to express your opinion of the genre's direction in general if you will. (Movement away from traditional roots,etc.)

Thanks, all!

I figure at this point I could bring my opinion in. I see a lot of Taylor Swift and would have to agree that she's overrated, but she does actually write and she can play too. That counts for something in my book.

Personally, I think George Strait is overrated. His old stuff was gold, but his new #1s are given to him because of who he is. (Personal opinion).

I think Dwight Yoakam, Alan Jackson (look at all he's wrote - new stuff stinks though), Travis Tritt, Patty Loveless, Clint Black, and definitely Brad Paisley (one of the greatest guitar players ever) are definitely underrated.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

overrated- taylor swift...first off, i don't consider her country, they play her on my local pop station for cryin out loud! besides that fact, she can NOT sing, she's always out of tune and sounds horrible live.

underrated- i have lots...dale watson..an amazing singer who sticks true to countrys roots. Also Dwight Yoakam. I have more but I'll stop w/ those two because otherwise this would be a really long answer.

edit: yes Taylor does write her own songs, but to me they aren't that great. Every one of them is about some boy she liked that broke her heart or whatever. George Strait is still amazing to me! Although I do agree that I like his older stuff better, I still bought the album "troubadour" and was happy with it, and I still love me some Alan Jackson as well, does "country boy" compete with "chattahoochie"? no, but I still like it.

Overrated-Taylor Swift

Underated-Jamie Johnson

Overrated: Toby Keith. Earlier stuff was allright but now his music is just gimmicky garbage like Hank Williams JRs music became later in his career.

Overrated-Kenny Chesney, rascall flats, eric church, luke bryan, etc. All these are just a product of Nashville , that all sound the same, sing the same old crap.

Way Overrated: Kenny rogers

OVERRATED: Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney, Johnny Cash (but I still love his music!), Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Shania Twain, Keith Urban (older stuff was good--newer stuff is 100% pop), Toby Keith (his more recent stuff, that is--his older stuff was great though), etc. For many of those I listed as overrated, I call them that because of the fact that they're not truly country even by today's standards (Taylor Swift, for instance).

UNDERRATED: Brad Paisley (as a guitarist and mainly by musicians that aren't into country), Darius Rucker, Katrina Elam, Jamey Johnson, Ashton Shepherd, Cross Canadian Ragweed (labeled as country, but should be labeled as rock--great musicians!), etc. Paisley is the only one I listed as underrated who's able to get a hit from almost anything he releases as a single, or as an album. The only reason he's listed is because of how underrated he is as a guitarist.

Overrated- would probably be most of the artists you actually hear on the radio; not saying that they're bad or untalented but most of them are "pretty", "pre-packaged", "white bread", "lets not really say anything and just make the money" guys and gals.

Underrated-artists that are workin' the clubs and making the music without getting rich, there's a lot of them-James McMurtrey comes to mind right now.

Overrated: Any modern celebutard. Why? Hank Williams once said, "You've got to have smelt a whole lot of manure before you can sing like a hillbilly." Name me ONE modern singer who can SPELL "manure," let alone has "smelt" it. These people are manufactured, not natural talents.

Underrated: Homer and Jethro. YES, I'm prejudiced. Guilty as charged. However, their comedy holds up very well. And, beneath that superficial corn (which, remember, they had to create on their own) lay two extremely talented musicians -- especially Jethro Burns. Twenty years after his death he's STILL three of the five greatest mandolin players ever. They blazed the trail for people like Weird Al, Cledus T. Judd, Pinkard & Bowden, and other parody performers. It took 30 years after Homer's death for them to be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, and to this day only DeFord Bailey (who rarely recorded in the 1920s) has less in-print music available than Homer and Jethro.

Overrated-Taylor Swift

Underrated-Darrius Rucker (spelling?)

• tami g

Overrated--Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts

Underrated-Terri Clark (she has NEVER gotten the awards she deserves at least not in the United States her home state of Canada has given her LOTS of awards) and just an FYI-Terri writes alot of her own songs as well.

taylor swift not so much underrated as over played

underrated alan jackson lady antebellum allison krause

overrated carrie underwood rascal flats they ain't country diamond rio lone star

Overrated-Garth Brooks

Underrated-Vernon Oxford

I think the Genre is moving away not only from its roots but away

from anything recognizable as Country Music