Niels H asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Rare butterflies Sudan!!!!?

I live in sudan,juba and would like to catch some rare butterflies ( im new on that continent so dont know)

And what are the best ways to attrackt butterflies. ( I mean mixing suger and other engridens,and put it on a hanging rope.

And how do you catch butterflies.(otthers than nets) and (I do have a net)

In europe I have caught many butterflies:swallowtails, ect

thx this might help me catch more butterflies

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There was just a news story about that.

http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/990928/1...

Apparently there's been a huge downturn due to the effects of people on butterflies, it may not be a good idea to catch any, much less the 'rare' ones.

Here's the article.

------------------

Butterfly population in Sudan dwindles

Sudanese zoologists affirm that the decrease in the number of butterflies that has been observed in the country is an indicator of environmental deterioration, the Pan-African news agency PANA reported.

Reports published by the Sudanese Environment Protection Society have often cited the phenomenon as an indicator of the worsening environmental situation.

According to the society's latest report, out of thousands" of butterfly species that existed before, "no more than 5 percent is left."

The society has imputed the decline in butterfly population to the depletion of the green cover as a result of desertification and the drought that plagued much of the country's territory in the last three decades.

Ecologists often cite findings of a 1959 report by British forest experts Jackson and Harry that estimated the percentage of the tree cover in Sudan at 34-43 percent.

The situation has now changed so much that a forest assessment carried out by FAO in 1990 indicated a tree cover of just 19 percent.

In addition to dwindling rainfall, deforestation was blamed on "the expansion of mechanized agriculture, extensive use of wood in house building, lavish consumption of firewood in cooking and random grazing and, of course, inadequate rainfall."

A zoologist in Khartoum confirmed the decline in butterfly population.

"Butterfly species have decreased remarkably, but I cannot exactly say how much," Dr. Fathi el Raba'a of the University of Khartoum told PANA. "I cannot confirm the 5 percent rate."

But Raba'a, who is also general manager of the Sudan Natural History Museum, agreed that the existence of many butterflies was an indicator of a healthy state of the environment.

He said, to develop into mature butterflies, the butterfly larvae need to live in humid environments.

"The larvae are soft bodied and not covered with a thick layer of chitin (skin) that prevents water evaporation as adult butterflies and other similar creatures that undergo continuous water loss until they dissipate (dry up) if no rain falls to save them," Raba'a explained.

"The larvae skins do not hold water," he said, adding that "almost all larvae of the Lepidoptera (the butterfly family) are plant feeders and, consequently, they must live in a place where plants are available and where weather conditions are moderately humid."

According to him, most Lepidoptera act as indicators of desertification.

"If the range of Lepidoptera or their species number decreased, this indicates adverse change in the environment pertinent to vegetation, humidity and temperature," he said.

Ironically, while the adult butterfly is considered a friend to the environment because it helps carry pollen from one plant to the other, thus helping flora multiplication, the larvae are considered destructive to the environment.

"Lepidoptera larvae have chewing mouth parts and feed on solid plant parts( leaves and stalks) while adult Lepidoptera have sucking mouth parts, feeding on flower nectars only," Raba'a said.

"So while all the larvae are pests, all adult Lepidoptera are beneficial insects in the sense that they pollinate the flowers," he added. "If the Lepidoptera adult population is less, this will affect the pollination, thus hindering reproduction of plants."

Raba'a also attributed the drop in butterfly numbers to "environmental change, adverse effects of residual pesticides and the activity of collectors."

Butterfly collection is not a common practice in Sudan as it is in Europe and elsewhere in the world where people keep albums of them.

In Sudan, school girls find fun to put colorful butterflies inside their books as page markers.

"Butterflies are the most beautiful colorful creatures in the world and this easily attracts insect collectors," Raba'a said.

He has, however, lamented the fact that not much research has been conducted on Lepidoptera. "They are delicate creatures and because of this students shun them when they conduct postgraduate research," he said.

He added that micro-Lepidoptera, creatures far smaller than butterflies, have not yet been fully studied. "We need to know more about these tiny butterflies," he noted.

According to Raba'a, other indicators of a worsening state of the environment, though of less degree, include the falling number of grasshoppers and various spider species.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.