Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What does the letter R in a circle mean?

I know you have no clue what I am talking about

but I am always curious when I am reading a book

right next the Companies name is a small circle with an R in it, What does it mean?

Best Answer

it means "Registered Trademark" which basically means noone else in the world can use that same name unless they ask for special permission from the owner (or else they could get sued!!)

Registered Trademark

Registered Trademark

• beelar

Circled R

It is a United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) regulated symbol for a 'Reserved' or 'Registered' trademark. Similar to 'circle-c' copyright symbol, these markings can only be used once the USPTO has issued a registration.

• Paula

Registered trade mark, means that the picture on the product or the way the letters are written can not be copied by another company.

It means "Registered Trademark". Basically it means that no other company can use the same name or same graphics. E.g. McDonalds sued a burger bar in Scotland called McDougals and won, because the name breaches trademark law by selling burgers under a name that could be mistaken for another company.

Dude? You read R-rated book? Naughty girl...

Just kidding! That means registered trademark

• sunset

Registered

It seems to me this is the Registered Trademark for the product