Cal asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Can siberian huskies survive extreme heat ?

i live in Phoenix Arizona, it gets really hot here and I cant let the dog inside the house because my brother is allergic.

Favorite Answer

People who live in Arizona and own Siberians keep them indoors, under the AC.

A Siberian outside in the summer -- even in shade -- will be MISERABLE. Doubly so because the poor thing will be outside alone. Why would you want to do that to your pet?

If your brother is allergic, don't get a Siberian.

I would say not; at the least, they would just be in poor health all the time.

I know quite a bit about huskies from researching the Nome Alaska Serum Run [aka the first Iditarod dog race]. After the serum run, the dog team was invited to go on a national tour around the United States, and they were constantly sick. So sick, in fact, that there was a petition to get the dogs back to Alaska where they belonged.

Little history lesson there, lol.

Anyway. I wouldn't advise keeping your husky outside. Maybe you should choose a different dog breed that will be okay in the heat. =]

Provide shade, lots of cool water always. Make sure to brush it daily to remove the dead hairs (he'll probably shed a lot). If you can, provide moving air (like a fan) which will help cool him down. He ought to be ok--maybe not real happy but won't die. The shade and cool water will help a lot. My sister has a husky-wolf mix in Santa Clara which can get warm in summer (not as hot as Phoenix though) and he'll basically find a shady spot with the most air moving and lie there all day, only getting up to drink more water. He cuts down on his own food intake until after dark. She also takes him to the pond so he can get wet, and she bathes him to loosen up some of his underfur. He's fine.

Every dog needs some type of training. The first class I ever took a dog to was https://tr.im/H3J67

It's a very basic kind of class. They will help you with your dog, and show you how to work with your dog at home.

They'll also answer any questions you have about your dog's particular problems and how to handle them. The most important thing in dog training is to be consistent and work with your dog at home on the lessons. The PetSmart class teaches sit, down, come, and the very basics every dog needs to know. They will also help socialize your dog. You are unhappy with an untrained dog, and believe it or not, the dog is actually unhappy to. You need to take your dog now, as the older he gets, the harder it will be to correct your dog's bad habits. Plus the classes are fun for you and your dog. My dog went from that first PetSmart class on to advanced obedience classes. You might also contact your local humane society. The one in my area offers obedience classes with a very good trainer at a reduced price.

You shouldn't have a dog if your family is allergic.

I would rehome the animal regardless of heat and such.

Siberian Huskies do fine in heated environments (I had one and lived in Miami FL) provided they have a cool place to go, unlimited cold water, and proper ventilation.

MY dog never stayed outside, though.

Huskies are known to survive -60 below 0 weather, why would you think they would be okay for Phoenix??

You will notice they are always trying to find the coolest area to lay in....

a husky needs air lots of it. so if you live in a city or town and have buildings all around you, the dog will over heat and die. but if you have lots of room and air and a few cool shady spots he will be fine. but he will always need lots of good water...good luck that's a great dog you have..

Source(s): on real hot days i would kick my bro out ..haha

Nope, they have thick coats to survive the extreme cold.

It is definately not a good idea if he would be kept outside. Their thick dense double coat keeps them warm. If you have an abundance of shade and keep him shaved down then it would be alright. But if you do not already have thise type of dog I would definately get one more suited to your climate.

I don't think so. They're meant for cold to extremely cold weather. Their coat is so thick for that same reason. Please don't let your dog stay out in that heat.