The Sibset Themes Name Game?

How many of you have several possible sibset ideas picked out for your future children? We have a list of family names we love, a list of biblical names we love, a list of Victorian names we love, and so on. I'm not sure which type of name we'll end up using when we finally do have kids, but I might like them all to be from one category so they have a bit of the same "feel."

Your job in this game is to design a sibset with each of the following specifications. Try to pick names you would actually choose for your children. Feel free to explain your choices, if you'd like to.

What would you name two boys and two girls (including middle names) if:

1) You decide to name your children after immediate close family members (siblings, parents, or grandparents).

2) You decide to name your children after distant family or names in your family tree.

3) You decide to give your children names that reflect your religious or spiritual beliefs. (If you are not religious/spiritual at all, pick names that have meanings that reflect your values.)

4) You decide to give your children literary names. (If you're not into literature, feel free to substitute names from movies or TV.)

5) You decide to give your children first names from your heritage and middle names from your significant other's heritage (or the other way around; if you don't have a significant other right now, pick first and middles from your heritage).

6) You decide to give your children names that somehow match in sound (Examples: Same beginning letter, same ending letter, all three syllables, all names that contain X, etc.)

7) You decide to give your children names that reflect important moments in your relationship with your significant other. (If you don't have a significant other, feel free to be creative with this answer.)

Have fun answering!

Best Answer

1) BOYS: William Thomas (my father's middle name and my step-dad's first name)

Benjamin David (my grandfather's first name and my hubby's father's first name)

GIRLS: Rose Elaine (my Grandmother was Rosie and my hubby's mother's middle name is Rose and my mother's middle name)

Cecelia Judith (variation of my hubby's grandmother's first name, and my mother's first name and variation of my hubby's mother's first name)

2) BOYS: Elliott Wheeler & Frank Lewis

GIRLS: Grace Ann & Elizabeth (Beth) Jane

3) Names that reflect my style and have significance to me are names that have been around and known/popular without being those trendy names that have a moment and then leave... I also prefer fuller names with nickname potential, so that the child and adult have options... I prefer to get a name with a good meaning, so I will make sure to do so in this case

BOYS: Matthew David (beloved gift of God) & Nathaniel Xavier (God's gift of a new house)

GIRLS: Catherine Suzanna (pure lily) & Margaret Claire (clear, bright, famous pearl)

4) BOYS: Laurence Darcy (Little Women & Pride and Prejudice) & Theodore Edward (Little Women & Jane Eyre)

GIRLS: Elizabeth Grace & Catherine Anne (Elizabeth from Little Women and Pride and Prejudice - Catherine from Wuthering Heights / Sorry, I could not come up with any significant names that I wanted to use in the middle name position...)

5) Well - I'm a purebred mutt... I've a lot of Irish and Scottish and English on my mother's side, and English and German and other's from my father's side - My hubby is mainly English/Irish/Mutt... so, here goes:

BOYS: Alastar William & Teague Oliver

GIRLS: Moira Elizabeth & Caitlín Eleanor

(First names were found by looking under Irish names and middle names were pulled from the "Most Popular Names for Births in England and Wales 2007" list)

6) This could get ugly...

BOYS: Matthew Ray & Nathaniel Jay

GIRLS: Elizabeth May & Catherine Fey

(all first names have a "th" an "e" and an "a" in them... middle names rhyme - I figured that the first name "theme" might be able to pass unnoticed... and therefore used an obvious theme for the middle names... which is less obtrusive for the kids too!)

7) May Rosa (GIRL: Our first date was on May 5th - Cinco de Mayo - we were also married on this date 4 years later! - So May for the month and Rosa as the spanish version of Rose.)

Michael (Mickey) Carwyn (BOY: My hubby's first name, but shortened to Mickey after our honeymoon at Disneyland - Carwyn means "blessed love" in Welsh)

Felicity Juno (GIRL: Personal meaning "happiness & good luck in marriage and finance" - to commemorate the binding of our two lives)

Dean Asher (BOY: Personal meaning "ten years of happiness" to celebrate our upcoming 10 year anniversary this year!!)

Was a lot of fun! Sorry it took so long for me to finish :-)

Brian David, Joanna Sue

Lydia Marie John Joseph [Lydia great grandma, John Joseph uncle]

Gabriel Joshua, Sarah Rebbecca

Zachary Nicholas [Ghost Adventures, love this name and show]

Sophie Ariel [Sophie-Mama Mia, Ariel- Little Mermaid]

Ohaira Greta [Irish, German]

Pierre Vladimir [French, Russian]

Gabrielle, Garret.

Danielle, David

1. Thomas Grey, Eric Alexander, Jane Amelia, Theresa Rose

2. Kathryn Grace, Cassandra Rae, Jack Daniel, Brendan Ronan

3. Jade Amora, Ophelia Hope, Greyson Just, Carson Gregor

4. William Walden, John Caine, Amelia Kate, Athena Alexandra

5. Magdalena Aniela, Kamila Lena, Samuel Tytus, Jacek Emel

7. Carson Caiden, Gavin Greyson, Athena Alexandra, Wilhelmina Windsor

• 1) Sophia Claire - Close, close, close niece

Ashley Nichole - Sister

James Riley - Brother

Aaron Kevin - Dad

2) Andrea Michelle - Aunt's Husbands First Wife's Sisters Little Girl

Becca Nichole - Half - Sister's Mom's Grand Daughter

Aaden Keleb - Oldest Brother's Wife's Mother

Micheal Jordan - Grandpa's Third Cousin

3) Abigail Nichole (Abbie) - Joy

Amy Kyla - Beloved

Jordan Kyle - Flow

Joey Andrew - Increased

4) Carly Lynn - iCarly

Sabrina Mae - Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Zack Josh - The Suite Life on Deck

Jesse Samuel - Full House

5) Penney Lynn - Great Grandmother

Becca Marie Anne - Uncle's Great Great Grandmother

Kyle Skyler - Great Grand Uncle

Skyler Rae - Dads Uncle

6) Sara Lynn

Cara Nichole

Jara Tristan

Nara Micheal

7) Ashley Nichole - Best Girl Friend

Macie Samantha - Best Girl Friend 2

James Riley - First Crush

Kevin James - Best Guy Friend

1.) Erin Patricia, Rosanna Marguerite, James Gerard, and Kevin Thomas

Sister Mom, Paternal Grandma Maternal Grandma, Maternal Grandpa 1st and middle, and Brother Brother(and Paternal Grandfather, and Uncle - Thomas is use ALOT in my family)

2.) Delia Winifred, Nora Bernadette, Denis Patrick, and Matthias John

Delia is the first person in my family to come to America from Ireland in Oct 1900. Winifred is the name of great great aunts on both my mother's and father's sides, same with Nora. Bernadette is an oft-used middle name throughout the generations. Denis is a quadruple-great uncle of mine, and Patrick is everywhere, including the 1780s when the oldest known Patrick was born (in my fam, of course). Matthias and John came over to America together, they were cousins, John is my great Grandfather, they moved in with Delia for a little while, but then Matthias moved to Wisconsin while John stayed in NY.

3.) Regina Mary, Theresa Bernadette, Francis Xavier, and Martin Ignatius

I'm Catholic!

4.) Frances Cherry, Dierdre Katherine, Cornelius John, Conall Curtis

After: Francie, Neeley, Katie, Johnny of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn; Dierdre and Conall from Princes of Ireland; and Curtis and Cherry (and Johnny) from The Outsiders

5.) Mary Granuaile, Niamh Brigid, Seán Colm and Éamon Michael

After: Mary just because. Granuaile was a famous Irish woman pirate who got to meet with Queen Elizabeth. Niamh is from Irish mythology - she fell in love with Finn MacCool's son Oisín. Brigid is a beloved Irish Saint. Sean O'Casey was an excellent Irish writer. Colm is another Irish saint, a follower of St. Patrick. Eamon after Eamon DeValera, and Michael after Michael Collins.

6.) Devora Lilian, Delia Vivian, Desmond Bastian, and Declan Finian

7.) If I were going to stray from the names I really would name my children, and step into the category "what I would name them if I didn't want to name them after my Irish Catholic family," then the list would look more like this:

Cora Aliz

Stella Ruby

Dante Oscar

Leo Dominic

But that will never happen because even though I love those names, I can guarantee I will name my kids after family, both mine and whoever my husband turns out to be!

This was so much fun. Great game.

Edited to add more descriptions

1) Katherine Jane, Esther Michele, John James, and Joseph Eric.

2) Rose Mabel, Mary Eva, Thomas George, Eric Sarkis. (all of these names are my great-grandparents. Eric is the name of my brother for question number one and Eric is the english version of my great grandfather's name, Egik, for this question. oh and Eva is the name of my great-grandma, who i was named after)

3) Gregory Jacob, Isaac Seth, Delilah Eve, and Leah Ruth .

(I am Armenian Apostolic Christian...Gregory is the name of St. Gregory the Illuminator, Father & Patron Saint of the Armenian Chuch. The rest are just names from the Bible)

4) Elizabeth Charlotte, Lydia Margaret, Bennet Alexander, Holden Peter

(Elizabeth, Charlotte, and Lydia are all from Pride & Prejudice (which i am trying to read, i'm only on like page 20. lol. it's hard!) Bennet is Elizabeth's last name, Alexander is supposedly from Troilus & Cressida by Shakespeare, which I haven't read, Peter is supposedly from Romeo & Juliet, which I havent read either. Holden is from The Catcher in the Rye, which I have read and Margaret is Meg's full name from Little Women, which I have read )

5) girls: Nairi Anahit, Alina Siroun

boys: Artin Hayastan, Ara Krikor

pronunciation guide:

Nairi - "ny ree"

Anahit - "ah na HEET"

Alina - "uh LEE nuh"

Siroun - "sih roon"

Artin - "are teen" ("are" as in "where are you?")

Hayastan - "hy es tahn"

Ara - "ah ruh"

Krikor - "kree core"

oh these are Armenian by the way.

6) Juliet Pearl, Violet Eve, Emmett Jude, Garett Cole

(first names all end the T sound, middles are all one syllable)

7) I don't have a significant other. but an important time with my family was when we went to Walt Disney World. So I will choose names of characters from Disney movies..

Aurora Belle , Esmeralda Jasmine, Micky Sebastian, Eric Gaston. (all the girls names are names of princesses, micky of course is micky mouse, sebastian is the crab from the little mermaid, eric is the name of the prince from the little mermaid and gaston is the name of that evil guy from beauty and the beast)

that was fun :) my favorite sets are 6 and 3

1) Anita Susanne and Tabitha Josephine for girls; Asher Keith and Philip Onslow for boys. My family has all Indian names so I've modified them for familiarity (just as I would if I were going to name my children after them. I would want to make the names individual in any case, so these are the ones I'd use.

2) Uma Rachael and Preity Charlotte for girls. While I don't have either a Rachael or a Charlotte on my family tree, I have a Roshni and a Chandrima, so I consider these the "Westernized" versions, and were I to honor them, these are the two I'd use. Uma and Preity are my great-grandmothers' names and I think they translate pretty well, so I wouldn't change them. Preity in particular facinates me; it's not pronounced "pretty" as the spelling might suggest, but "PREE-thee". I'll come back to the boys'; this is somethhing that requires in-depth thinking and it's late.

3) Serafina Magdalene and Evangeline Miriam for girls; Christopher Abel and Gabriel Henry for boys. I used Christianity here, obviously. My parents have always practiced Hinduism, but I'm somewhere in the middle of the two personally. I suppose you could say I'm a believer in both. But for purposes of convenience, I've listed Christian ones here as they're easier to pair and more familiar.

4) Charlotte Eliza (Charlotte Lucas and Elizabeth Bennet of "Pride and Prejudice") and Katharina Marianne (Katharina of "The Taming of the Shrew" and Marianne from "Sense and Sensibility"). For boys, Charles Fitzwilliam ("Pride and Prejudice"; I'm really starting to think Jane Austen was an expert namer!) and Frederick Ashley ("A Farewell to Arms" and "Gone With the Wind").

5) Laila Eilis and Dipika "Diya" Brigid for girls, Akash Callum and Rohan Baird. I'm of Indian-American origin, SO is part Irish. Incidentally, I was originally going to be named Dipika; it was my mother's choice for me. But the general consensus of the rest of the family was Sharmila, so that became my name. But I've always liked Dipika personally, and I really love the nickname Diya. I think the girls' names are all right; the boys' names are too fusion for my style, but they were the best I could come up with!

6) Violet Mirabel and Calla Julianne for girls, Andrew James and Charles Mason for boys. I prefer more subtle matches for siblings, so All four are two-syllable, the girls both have flower names, and one girl and one boy has each middle initial (M or J).

7) Lorelei Caitlin and Alexandria Francine for girls; Kendal and Chase for boys. This one took me a long time, and as much as I dislike the name Chase, it's pretty significant to our relationship. I'll revise these and add middle names for the boys later.

Great question!

1) Briony Alice (Briony for my dad Brian, Alice for me, Alicia)

Amabel Charis(Amabel for my SIL Amanda, and Charis for my mom Charlene)

Ryker James (Ryker for Rick my husband, and James is my grandfather's name)

Jonas Clark (Jonas for my husband's grandfather Jon, and Clark is my FIL's middle name)

2) Willa Mary (Willa a slight variation on Wilma)

Lola Rosalyn

Benjamin Isaac

Jesse Alexander

3) Ezra Raphael

Silas Gabriel

Lydia Tirzah

Eve Keturah

4) Lyra Juliet (His Dark Materials and Romeo and Juliet)

Miranda Pearl (The Tempest and Scarlet Letter)

Duncan Lemuel (Macbeth and Gulliver's Travels)

Edmund Orlando (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and As You Like It)

5) (we both are pretty mixed in heritage, so I will go by the heritage of our surnames/my maiden name)

Isla Katarine

Lileas Amalie

Malcolm Emmerich

Alasdair Friedrich

6) Ezra Alexander

Ephraim Arthur

Elora Afton

Evangeline Allegra

7) (this is going to seem a tad cheesy, I think)

Rosemary Ellen (our first kiss was while we were watching White Christmas the names come from the two main actresses)

Deanna September (Our first date was to a Star Trek movie, so a couple of these names come from Star Trek actors/characters. September is when we married)

Patrick Valentin (Star Trek, and he proposed around Valentine's day)

William Anderson (Star Trek, and Anderson was the college where we first saw each other.)

1) Paul Joseph, William Roscoe, Reagan Ann and Mary Ann (I hope it's ok that I used Joseph, William and Reagan. Those names aren't in the immediate family but the others are.)

2) Kate Christine, Stephanie Rose, Paul William and Jackson Scott

3) Noah Andrew, Benjamin Jude, Hannah Grace and Sarah Elizabeth

4) Darcy James, Noah Andrew, Savannah Lauren and Alison Isabella

(Pride and Prejudice, Noah and Allie- the Notebook, and Savannah Breeze. and obviously Isabella- Twilight)

6) Noah Andrew, Nate Alexander, Norah Alison and Natalie Abigail

1.

Claire Elizabeth- after my great great grandmother and my grandmother.

Amber Joy- after my mother and adopted mother.

Oliver Robert- after my paternal grandparents.

John Preston- after my grandfather and my great great grandfather.

2.

Brookelyn Lee- after my cousin and my adopted father.

Taylor Marie- after my cousin and my adopted mother.

Micah Andrew- after two of my cousins.

Jaysen Daniel- after two of my cousins.

3.

Saraiah Noelle- There's a girl names Sarai in the Bible.

Katheryn Mae- also from the Bible (St. Catherine).

Lucas Joseph- Biblical.

Nathanael Scott- Biblical.

4.

Emily Brieann- after Emily Dickinson.

Nora Renee- after Nora Roberts.

Matthew Shane- after the character from 7th Heaven: Matt Camden.

Jordan Lee- after Jordan Catalano on "My So Called Life".

5.

Ireland Nicole- Irish heritage.

Shannon Eliza- Irish heritage.

Ty Andrew- Irish heritage.

Ryan Michael- Irish heritage.

6.

Alissa Jane, Brandelinn Jessica, Caleb John, and Dillon James (The ABC Kids and all middle names beginning with J).

7.

Summer Christine- when my husband I met.

December Leigh- when he proposed.

Austin James- our son's name.

Colten Lee- our 2nd favorite boy's name.

This was really fun. TY!