how can i paint exterior house trim in freezing temps?

so i am about to refinance, they send an appraiser out and today i get a call that the appraisal came in but there are a couple things i need to do to meet fha guidelines. under my back door there is chipped paint, and on some of the trim and door on my garage there is chipped paint. I knew about this and had plans to replace all my trim this spring with vinyl. BUT, it appears i have to scrape and paint these effected area b4 the appraisal will be valid so here is where i need help. i live in WI. right now it is below zero so my best guess is that painting is not an option so i thought about buying new trim, painting it inside and then putting it up. the problem is i don't know how i am going to get the old stuff off (everything is frozen) so most likely i would cause more damage. does any one have any ideas? a quick fix? I also have been looking for a door for my garage side entry and can't seem to find just a solid wood exterior door i have to cut it down almost 10 inches so it must be plain. it is really weird that i have to do these things in order to get my refinancing but with that said i do and don't have a clue how i will achieve it.

Best Answer

my brother-in-law only had to scrape his house for fha listing ...they werent concerned about the painting just the loose paint...

You can not paint in freezing weather ~ I'm in the middle of having my barn painted, and while most paint is rated for 60 and above, my guy found one rated for 40 and above. Once, the weather dipped below freezing though, everything stopped and we'll be on hold until the spring thaw.

I would call your bank and let them know that the appraisal is conditional upon painting the trim & exterior maintenance which can't be done in sub freezing weather. They may suggest you put up a "bond" ...that is, you set aside a certain amount of money that guarantees that the paint and door will happen when the weather permits.

I live in an area where construction stops when the temps hit freezing ~ and everything is on hold until spring thaw. Banks DO recognize that weather does interfere with construction, and will work with you.

Remove the existing trim. If it cracks replace it. Let sit in heated space for 24 hr.Paint, let dry, and replace. Carpenters work in freezing temps all the time. You just need more caution to keep from cracking trim.

Very interesting. We are refinancing an FHA load and there is NO appraisal. We are in IL, so maybe WI is different. I will give you our finance guy's email and you can contact him. Maybe he can help you?? (not necessarily with repairs, just the refi without the drama of appraisal) If he can't help you becuase you are in WI, maybe he knows someone in WI that he can refer you to. Good luck!

Source(s): dbuckman@mobiumgroup.com

there is a product call flo-trol i think that is how its spelled that lets you paint in cold temps call the paint store and inquire about it

Source(s): p