Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

what if lye is swallowed?

Im doing a report on the poison Lye. I know it causes burns if you come in contact with it, and breathing difficulty if inhaled. But what if someone swallows it? Can they die? or does it dissolve your insides. Thanks

haha im not going to poison someone jeez. xD

also how much would it take to kill if swallowed, or absorbed or inhaled. I cant find it on the internet

Favorite Answer

Lye is a very nasty substance - I hate to recall hearing about the after effects for someone who had swallowed it - chemical "burns" to inside of mouth, throat and esophagus. I was in pain from just being acquainted with the basics of the patient's problem. And yes, like any poison, consumption of enough lye can cause death.

Lye Poisoning

Lye Ingestion

• Anne

Well, if you're well enough to type on the computer, and you haven't completely destroyed your throat, I don't imagine you have to worry too much. Lye is not a poison, it is an incredibly strong corrosive. However, it is a base, and can be neutralized by the acids in your stomach. However, I am not there to look at you, and I cannot give you advice right now. Lye is deadly, do not doubt it. If you feel like you should, then call poison control. Undoubtedly, they can give you better, and much more reliable advice than anyone one this message board. Take care of yourself, and good luck. Also, try not to do that again, kay?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what if lye is swallowed?

Source(s): lye swallowed: https://shortly.im/26AEJ

When I was in nursing school I had a psych patient who had swallowed lye. It ate through her esophagus and she was being fed with a tube. The doctors were going to use part of her intestines to rebuild her esophagus, so she could eat again. She was very lucky to have survived. She could very well have died.

The lye is very caustic.Your mouth and esophagus will probrably be permanenyly damaged. You will probrably be fed by a tube for the rest of your life.

Source(s): I had a patient who tried to commit suicideby drinking lye.

Yes, swallowed it changes the Ph of the stomach and death can ensue. Google Sodium Hydroxide for further information on lye.

How to get lye? Can I buy it from somewhere. I heard it is available in powder based?

I remember an EMT guy tell us about someone who took draino(lye) and it caused terrible burns going down, and when she threw up it was even worse..ate away her lips and tounge ,horrible stuff