Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Service Dogs and the ADA?

Where in the Americans with Disabilities Act does it talk about service animals? I am a veteran with PTSD, and I am needing to know what identification is needed for my service dog. Please help!!! I need direct citations and reading the act is doing me no good.

Favorite Answer

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) clearly states that proof of "certification" cannot be required by any facility or business for legal access if you meet the requirements for a person with a legal disability, and your dog meets the requirements of a service animal.

However, the reality is that many businesses and employees are ignorant of this law. Whether you choose a tag, a vest or a bandana, a properly identified dog will receive less hassles than one without. We think service dog tags are best because:

Each tag has your dog's picture, name and owner's name

Each tag has answers to common service dog questions on the back

The 1-800 number to The Department of Justice is on the back

Traveling with your Service Animal

Service dog ID tags can help make your airline travel hassle free.The Department of Transportation Service Animal Guidance for airlines states the following

•Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.

Please note that identification cards are at the top of the list and only verbal assurance is at the bottom. I have had customers repeatedly tell me that the airlines have required some sort of identification even though by law they are not allowed to do this. It's your choice, argue with an uninformed attendant and have to call a supervisor, or simply show your ID card and tag and walk on the plane.

Here's good information on service animals and the ADA:

http://www.equipforequality.org/resourcecenter/ada...