Where is your favorite place to buy books? ?

The best, the cheapest, the best sales, the best quality, the best choice?

Favorite Answer

Well, I have a few. Most of them are only local to me though, so unless you live in Winnipeg, you're out of luck.

As far as best quality goes I have a few depending on where I am. My favourite in WInnipeg is definitely McNally Robinson they definitely beat the pants off of Chapters/Indigo any day of the week (and they also have stores in Saskatoon, Toronto and New York). In Ottawa (but they're also in Montreal and Toronto) I really like Nicholas Hoare. Oh, and Hodges & Figgis in Dublin is really nice too.

I find that used and antiquarian books stores often have the best choice and the best salespeople. If I started to list the ones that I really like this answer would get entirely too long. Okay...just a few...Burton Lysecki in Winnipeg and Argosy Books in Ottawa.

And finally, cheapest. In WInnipeg we have a huge week-long charity book sale at one of the shopping malls. i never fail to end up with five or six bags of books over the week because there is so much amazing stuff (and the last day everything is marked down to $5 per shopping bag...that doesn't hurt either).

I have to admit though that I often find myself buying books online often from Amazon or abe.com, but only when there is a specific book that I cannot find locally.

Cheers.

Cheers.

If you're searching for a specific title, and you want to go to a physical store, your best best in my opinion would be Borders or Barnes and Noble. Those are the biggest and widest-ranging stores that I know of, and they often have good sales going on. Also, you can become a member and earn points toward money off with every purchase.

If you prefer to shop online, or don't really care about the physical condition of the book you're buying, Amazon.com is definitely the cheapest way to go. From there, you can find used copies of the book you're searching for. Some of the used copies may be bent or torn, or may have some marked pages, but the damage slashes the price of the book. You may be able to get a book that sells for $20 new for less than $5. Can't beat that!

However, my favorite thing to do is finding a little used book store locally or while travelling. If you're an avid reader and like to pick up an unknown book and start reading, you can find great stories at these hole-in-the-wall places. They often come very cheap, too. One in Ann Arbor, Michigan has a whole bookcase of books for 50 cents, one for $1, and so on. You can find some great books this way, if you're willing to be adventurous! :)

My favorite place to my cheap books is a shop called 'Buy The Book' which is in The Mall, Southampton,UK. Although this shop might not have a huge collection of books as it is a new shop but the shop does have a good variety. The books are extremely cheap as most of them have 70% of the original price on the back of the book.

I also like buying my books from Waterstones because they have a massive variety and often have 3 for 2 offers.

I love going to the Goodwill and Salvation Army. They are super cheap and I always walk out with five or six books for around seven bucks. That way your saving on money and the landfill by reusing. I do love to go to Barnes and Noble but what a rip off. If I absolutely have to have a book that I can't find at the thrift stores then yes I will and splurge on a new book.

Barnes and Noble online or Amazon.com. I have a Barnes and Noble card (I am a member) so their online prices are always cheaper than they are in the stores, even cheaper than Borders. And they are comparable to Amazon's prices.

Barnes and Noble also sells textbooks that are cheaper than the ones sold at the bookstore on my university's campus.

If Barnes and Noble online doesn't have a book I want, then I go to Amazon. They always have books that are no longer sold at B&N. Plus, both offer free shipping on order over $25.

I also enjoy browsing the Barnes and Noble store, but you just can't beat online prices and free shipping. I usually only buy books that are under $10 from the store. I don't want to lose that bookstore experience.

Well, on a general scale: anywhere that sells good books!

Cheap but quality. When I went on holiday to Bourton-On-The-Water, there was this bookshop right down the road, it was literally a minute away and they sold a huge selection and everyone there was really friendly so that was my favourite bookshop but I do not plan on driving or two hours to get a book! So, I will have to settle for the Baytree Bookshop which is really expensive (overpriced rubbish) because that is the only anywhere-near-decent bookshop within a 4 mile radius.

Borders has really good sales and they always have a "Buy 2 get 1 Free" or "Buy 3 get 1 Free". Their sales almost always include the latest titles also.

Well, I think the best place to buy a book is a place that sells them... Anyway, my favorite store is Coles. I don't know why really, it just is.

i like Barns & Noble the best. when you find the book that you want, you can go to the coffee shop and get a drink and sit down and read the first couple chapters of the book, then decide if you want it. i think all book stores have pretty much the same prices though...

Books a Million has the good Customer Servis