Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

How long did it take to Margaret Mitchell write her famous novel "Gone with the wind"?

I want to write a novel based on slavery and war. And is it hard to find a good name for a novel based on those events?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Writing Gone with the Wind

Mitchell is reported to have begun writing Gone With the Wind while bedridden with a broken ankle. Her husband, John Marsh, brought home historical books from the public library to amuse her while she recuperated. After she supposedly read all the historical books in the library, he told her, "Peggy, if you want another book, why don't you write your own?" She drew upon her encyclopedic knowledge of the Civil War and dramatic moments from her own life, and typed her epic novel on an old Remington typewriter. She originally called the heroine "Pansy O'Hara", and Tara was "Fontenoy Hall". She considered naming the novel Tote The Weary Load or Tomorrow Is Another Day.[4]

Mitchell wrote for her own amusement, and with solid support from her husband, kept her novel secret from her friends. She hid the voluminous pages under towels, disguising them as a divan, hid them in her closets, and under her bed.[citation needed] She wrote the last chapter first, and skipped around from chapter to chapter. Her husband regularly proofread the growing manuscript to help in continuity. By 1929, her ankle had healed, most of the book was written, and she lost interest in pursuing her literary efforts. The bulk of the work was written between 1925 and 1930 in an apartment Mitchell called "The Dump"[5]: the Crescent Apartments are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and are operated as a museum to Mitchell's memory.

While Mitchell used to say that her Gone With the Wind characters were not based on real people, modern researchers have found similarities to some of the people in her life, and people she knew or heard of. For example, the character Rhett Butler may have been modeled after her first husband. The last thing he said to her (supposedly) was, "My dear, I don't give a damn",[citation needed] which Rhett says to Scarlett before he leaves her in the book. ("Frankly" was added for the movie.)

Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I remember reading that she wrote it for seven years. Possibly more. That's one of my favourite books of all time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.