Shane asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

How to stop stuttering?

How do you stop stuttering. It isn't something you can just take a medication for. What are some ways to get rid of it?

Thanks

also, just curious, what are the causes for stuttering?

is it just low self-esteem or something more?

• Bud B
    Favorite Answer

There is no cure for stuttering but you can learn techniques to talk better and stutter less. Try these resources:

www.stutteringhelp.org there are videos online that show speech therapists working with stutterers; watch them and learn some techniques.

http://stutteringselfhelp-stutteringselfhelp.blogs...

http://stutteringhelp-bud.blogspot.com/

http://notesonstuttering.blogspot.com/

Meet others who stutter here http://groups.myspace.com/stutteringfoundation

www.stutteringforum.com

stutteringchat on Yahoo groups

Contact The Stuttering Foundation of America as that is where our family got help. Their book "Self Therapy for the Stutterer" worked wonders after working through it step by step. The book can be found here http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=6...

Some medications that other stutterers have tried include lorazepam, citalopram, and buspar. Ask your doctor about trying an anti-anxiety medication while you are working on your stuttering. Be aware that your stuttering may be better than the side-effects of the medication, though.

Each stutterer is different, and a therapist who specializes in treating stuttering will be able to determine what will help you the most as they work with you.

Stuttering can be genetic but there are other causes, too. It is not caused by low self-esteem. It will get worse when the stutterer is under stress, extremely excited, overly tired, or when he tries NOT to stutter.

Source(s): come from a family of stutterers who found help through The Stuttering Foundation of America (www.stutteringhelp.org)
  • Carol

A person's abnormal condition, like stuttering, can be due to inadequate physical development or psychological. A speech expert can diagnose which one. If it is physical, then science has a solution for it. Stuttering is not a new disease or condition. It has been with the modern man for as long as he lives. If it is psychological, a psychiatrist can conduct test, like hypnotism, or evaluate the person's past and present situation and environment that is causing this nervous manifestation. When the cause is determined, the solution can be made. And the person can manage his behaviour to consciously check himself from stuttering. The message is consult the proper specialist for this condition.

Speech therapy would help, but if you wanted a less expensive route you could get some books at your local library that could help with speech therapy, and they might give you some exercises to practice to help stop the stuttering.

Hope this helps.

You should talk as slow as possible so you won't end up saying the answer again. I was stuttering when I was 4 and I just talked slow.

my brother stutters, he went to speech therapy, and it helped him alot.

Speech therapy!

depending on where you live, and this is true, you can apply for medical marijuana and yes it does work. WONDERFULLY. there is a documentary called "In Pot We Trust" you can look it up on Liveleak.com and there is a women with a terrible stuttering problem but when she smokes weed, its gone and she speaks perfectly. its crazy.

Speech therapy, or maybe you could get videos to practice speaking at home.

First of all...to NICK...really not a funny response. GROW UP and keep your ignorance to yourself.

Anyway...I have a 9 year old son who stutters and he has been that way for as long as I can remember. We thought that he would grow out of it, most kids do, but my son still does it. He has gone to speech therapy since kindergarten (5 years old) and while it has helped him a great deal, the stuttering continues. Fortunately it's not horrible and he can definitly carry on a conversation and get his point across without a great deal of trouble. He definitly does not have low self esteem...a few people make fun of him here and there, but his school buddies have been with him since they started school...it's the only way they know him to be. He is extremely popular...he is class president and excels at football, wrestling and art.

No one can really ever give a cause for stuttering, not even the therapist that he sees. However, stuttering is most common in boys who have mothers that stuttered. Consequently, while I do not stutter anymore, I used to and I sometimes still trip up on my words here and there. It can also be related to poor prenatal care or mothers who did illegal drugs while pregnant.

I really doubt that there is a way to totally eliminate stuttering. Therapy helps; my son has been taught to use "smooth speech" and to try and have a rythm to your words. It has helped, but at high stress times or when he is excited about something he stutters more.

Hope that helped!

Source(s): I have a son that stutters

You can go to speech therapy to get help.