What's the best way to cool down coffee that is to hot?

I don't like coffee that is to hot and I am a inpatient guy. I use, preferably cold, milk to cool my coffee down but I want the fastest way to do this. When I prepare my coffee (I also use sugar) I want to get the routine as efficient as possible, so this is my question:

Does coffee turn faster cold if you first put sugar in it and after that the cold milk (so the coffee loses more of it's warmth on it's own and after pouring in the cold milk it loses warmth slower) or do I first put milk in the coffee (so it cools already down a bit and cools down faster with the cold milk in it)?

S.

The place where I drink the most coffee is at work and we don't have access to a freezer here...

The first answer doesn't make any sense, of course the cup will remain colder when you poor the coffee in it later but I don't want a cup that is cool the longest, I want cooler coffee...

Apart from not having access to a freezer at work that answer is the best yet.

• Favorite Answer

SO, you don't have access to Ice but you do have cold milk.

If you are adding sugar, put it in first since the hot coffee will allow it to liquefy more rapidly. It will also use some of the heat as energy to change the sugar from solid to liquid. Then add your milk.

I would put in the milk first, so the cup remains cool for as long as possible, put the hot water in (it doesn't have to boil, turning the kettle off just before boiling will save a few degrees or boiling the kettle and waiting ten minutes to make your drink) then add your sugar and coffee. This way the coffee won't get further burnt by putting hot water directly on to it.

If your coffee is still too hot either add more water or pour your drink in to another mug, it really does take some of the heat away quickly!

Another option is to get a smaller cup and use more milk.

Good luck :-)

Source(s): I am the same with cup soups!!!!

If you want to cool it without changing the taste, you should use a larger mug with a larger surface area so the coffee cools quicker. You could also put it in the fridge for a while...

Adding ice cubes is like adding water, it will cool the drink but it will also dilute the flavor so if you use this technique, make the coffee a little stronger than you would so that when you add the ice cubes it doesn't lose it's flavor too much.

Put about half an inch/an inch (depending on how cool you want it) of cold water in the cup. Pour in your coffee, add sugar, pour milk. Easy.

I don't know which way the coffee become cooler quicker via sugar or milk. But why don't you try and throw and ice cube in your coffee... it melts quickly and you will be on your way with coffee you can drink immediately.

Source(s): I drink coffee... It works for me