Survey: What nationality were your ancestors?

Do you think that people instinctively are drawn to the culture of their background, whether they know it, or not?

Is there a culture you always wished to live in, that you were not necessarily born into?

Best Answer

German (Banat)

English / Irish

Not necessarily, if you are raised in a household of a different cultural background than that of your genetic heritage, you probably won't be interested in your genetic roots as much.

No.

Saponi-Tutelo, Tsalagi (Cherokee), German, Swedish, Black, *mystery*, and Eurasian (best guess is either Filipino-American or Chinese-American). And a touch of Irish that I discovered doing geneaology.

I think people are instinctively drawn to their backgrounds even if they don't know them. I have a lot of mystery heritage and I am drawn to the foods and ancient cultures of some regions which people, including people from those regions, routinely assume I am from. Also, I feel drawn in many different directions and am trying to integrate my cultural identities without losing them.

I do wish that Native cultures all over the world had not been colonized by Western Christians and that settlers had not tried to wipe out the ways of Native people with schools and forced removals and Christianization, and of African people with slavery and colonization and missionaries, and of both by outlawing religious practices and languages, etc. Many of those cultures still exist and people are still born into them, but they have been damaged and altered by Western culture to some degree, and at some point my own ancestors were separated from their nations and the next generation was not born among their people. I would not want to have to choose to reject any part of my heritage now that it has gotten to me and I am mixed, but I am sorry that so many are born outside of our cultures. I don't think a "melting pot" should mean we all come out the same, I think it should be more like a collage than a melting pot, where it's considered good to keep who you are and remember your ancestors' language and religion, instead of everyone having to be "modern" and be the same.

I accept people from all cultures.. nowadays we live in a multicultural melting pot.. we get to know people of all different cultures and I believe it helps a lot to get to know these people and even to read about different cultures or if one can afford it to travel and visit different countries with different cultural backgrounds.. that also will get rid of prejudice I hope.. on my mom's side.. Swedish ancestors from my dad's side.. his grandfather was born in Switzerland.. My mom was born in what was at the time.. Germany .. but which after WWII is now part of Poland.. I am German and my husband is British, his father was from Serbo Croatia.. the former Yugoslavia, his mom is British and we live in Canada... xxx

• R

Czech, British, Scottish, Irish, Norman, Tsalagi.

I wish I was Andaluzian or maybe Tuluva or Quiche.

Algerian and French.

I always wish I was from a great big Italian or Spanish family!

i think so, i didnt know i was costa rican until recently, but i am really good at speaking spanish....i remember my first spanish class in grade school, never spoken a word and my teacher asked if i had a personal tutor.

Polish and English, and a tiny bit of German.

but I always wanted to be Mexican or Japanese or BOTH (i had a friend who is)

My mother is Maritian with a mix of Kleon. My father was Venetian.

my Farther is from Scotland,my Mother is half English from colonial times, many generations ago, and half Irish from the potato famine about 5 generations ago.

Yes, and no. You should have asked what Ethnicity were your ancestors, mine's mixed.