Would I like gumbo if I don't like okra?

I really would love to try gumbo but I don't like okra. Everything else that is associated with gumbo whether it be seafood or meat I like. Okra is usually one of the first things mentioned when someone lists the ingredients and that has always turned me off.

Favorite Answer

You might like filé gumbo, which doesn't have okra.

Okra is used as a thickener since it's goo will congeal when exposed to heat.

Filé (sassafras leaf powder) has similar properties but does not make it slimy, and adds another dimension of flavor to the dish.

You wouldn't even notice the okra in there. It just tastes like a green vegetable. Okra is a good green veggie, if prepared correctly. If it isn't done right, then it's very sticky and gluey:) ... If you're making gumbo or soup with it, add the frozen chopped okra into it while it's still frozen (don't thaw out or cook first)

make the recipe but just omit the okra.