Should Obama's Citizenship Be Reviewed?

Should the citizenship of President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama be reviewed by the Supreme Court?

Personally, I believe yes, his citizenship should be reviewed, as there is a whole lack of knowledge regarding his original birth certificate. There is are an awful lot of rumors proving otherwise. Barack Obama's Kenyan grandmother and his white American grandmother (who had passed away recently) both stated he was born in Kenya. On top of that, Obama was reported to have had Indonesian citizenship. There is too much against the "born in Hawaii" theory.

Barack Obama must show his original birth certificate. The U.S. Constitution must be upheld.

-Romano B.

Update:

Sorry, I meant Senate, not Supreme Court. Any governmental organization with the authority to review Obama's citizenship.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes, his citizenship should be reviewed.

If Obama wasn't born in the US, then he is not an American citizen because his mother wasn't old enough (she needed to be 19 and she was only 18) to automatically transmit US citizenship to him at birth in 1961. This information is from the US Department of State website :

Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock: ... For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen are required for physical presence in the U.S. to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

If Obama was born in the US, the main point is that there is a difference between a 'citizen' and a 'natural born citizen'.

A "citizen" of the US is a citizen at birth by being born on US soil (Jus soli) or by being born to one or two US citizen parents (Jus sanguinis).US citizenship can be acquired by naturalization by a non-citizen after birth.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86755....

A US "natural born citizen" is a person born on US soil to two US citizen parents.

See PERKINS V. ELG - http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?c...

The Supreme Court case of PERKINS v. ELG defined a "natural born citizen" as a person who was born on US soil to two US citizen parents. It was also defined the same way in MINOR v. HAPPERSETT http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?c...

So, there is a difference between a 'citizen' and a 'natural born citizen'.

To be eligible to serve as the President of the United States, the person must be a 'natural born citizen' (or a citizen at the time of the adoption of the constitution) per Article 2 Section 1 of the US Constitution. http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constituti...

Note that EVERY President has been a natural born citizen (born on US soil to two US citizen parents), or a citizen at the time the constitution was adopted.

Mr. Barack H. Obama II was born to a US citizen mother and a Kenyan citizen father and was reportedly born on US soil in the state of Hawaii. If born on US soil, He is a 'citizen'. BUT - Since one of his parents was not a US citizen, Obama is NOT a 'natural-born citizen' and is therefore not qualified for the office of President of the United States.

• 3 years ago

No, the SC isn't reviewing his citizenship right this moment. it extremely is surprising that the comparable people who're going on and on approximately Obama no longer being a citizenship seem to have not have been given any theory what the extremely some complaints are approximately. The justices are discussing whether or no longer the decrease court docket decide who brushed off a wholesome filed against the Secretary of State of NJ replaced into terrific in doing so. The felony motives reported by capacity of that decide have no longer something to do immediately with Obama's citizenship and it extremely is that felony reasoning that's being reviewed.

• 1 decade ago

Though I fully support Barack Obama, I do not think this should be so large of an issue. I think that Obama should have no problem having his origins investigated. Aside from the born in Hawaii theory, however, it is clear that his mother is a U.S. citizen, and technicalities which have developed over the years and in several court cases have muddled the citizenship issue.

However due to his extremely high approval rating, I doubt much would happen to him if he was found to be born elsewhere. I think the majority of people are more concerned with his ideas and qualifications, as well as general knowledge of the country than his usual citizenship. I believe that a quick action would be taken to add an Amendment through the Constitional process that essentially allowed Barack Obama to hold office while still upholding the words and terms used in our very own U.S. Constitution through the swift action of our representatives in Congress.

• 1 decade ago

No.

You have not seen his original birth certificate. Someone else has. Kind of hard to get any job without ID, never mind the presidency. And one does not have to be born in the US to be born a US citizen. You can be born abroad to parents with US citizenship and still be considered a citizen. John McCain wasn't born in any of the 50 states, he was born in Panama while it was under US control, but no one makes a big fuss about that.

Also, rumours don't prove anything except that people like to gossip.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"Should the citizenship of President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama be reviewed by the Supreme Court?"

No. The Supreme Court has no authority to review the qualifications of the President. The Senate does.

• 1 decade ago

I don't know about you, but usually when I get hired for a job, they ask to see a driver's license, birth certificate, social security card and whatnot. I'm fairly certain that the same process happened at least when he was elected into Senate and has probably happened again, otherwise you assume that no one in government pays taxes.

• 1 decade ago

Tj is wrong. If you have at least one parent who is a US citizen (even born outside the country) you are a natural born citizen.

And its moot. Obama was born in Hawaii. Hawaii is a STATE in the US.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Geez give it a break. Your guy lost. Just consider this: do you think the GOP researched whether he was a natural US citizen? Do you think the CIA and DOD researched whether he was a natural citizen before he was told all the secrets that the president is told?

Use some common sense and give up your mind numbing prejudice and idiotcy.

• 1 decade ago

I like how you so easily state falsehoods as truth and provide zero evidence to back your alleged claims.

Obama is an native-born American citizen. He's president in a few days; time to get over it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, as soon as the ink on his birth certificate dries, we need to take a long hard look at it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.