I'm writing an essay on a person (alive or dead) who has done something to change society. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions or ideas on someone to write about?

• Mary
    Favorite Answer

I'm in a creative mood, sorry. Grab a name from an obituary (perhaps a distant cousin that doesn't share your last name), do all the research you can on the person, and make the essay persuade your teacher that this person made a big difference in society. It IS possible.

Ok, somebody gave me a "thumbs down" so I guess I was too forward...

My point is, do something different!! For example, someone that was critical in the society of a country few uneducated people have heard of, such as Kyrgyzstan. Or maybe Bill Nye, the science guy? I know he's made a difference in my life! Seriously, who wants to read another paper about Oprah, John Smith, Winston Churchill (I'm guilty of that one), Henry Ford, JFK or FDR. All great people, don't get me wrong, but so many people have written about them it's getting....boring? dare I say it?

I agree with Mary... even though someone gave her a thumbs down... Chances are, your teacher has heard just about everyone before... so really research about something you'ree interested in and find the exact roots of it and how it changed society.

Sometimes people in the shadows change society the most.

You could even go as far back as biblical times and say "Eve (or Adam) changed society." if your school will let you... and if that is what you believe.

Look at ancient mayans... they were so advanced in astro-sciences... was there a certain person that stood out? Imagine what the world would be like without the knowledge we gained from them... in essence, that wheel might still be in progress for invention and we never would have gone to space... hense no satellites... no gps... etc...

Also, you've got a bunch of people that believe in the end of the world coming 12/21/2012 because of them... maybe find a big leader in that science.

Rock n Roll changed society, some believe.... maybe Elvis? What liberties do we have now because of rock n roll? Think... dirty dancing lol.

Who was one of Albert Einstein's teachers? Maybe his mother changed society by not giving up on him when he didn't speak or read??

I'm tired so I'm rambling but I thought Mary's idea was great! Creativity for teachers is key... trust me... it's boring to read the same essays year after year.

Does it need to be American society? In an indirect way to America, William Wilberforce was a strong force in the fight to end the British slave trade which echoed to the United States I'm sure.

Try to stay away from people that are overdone such as MLK, Jr. and President Lincoln, no matter how great they were for our country. Originality and thought are worth a lot to teachers.

If you would like to go way back, John Smith waaay back from the colonial period was the first person so say hell with hierarchy... if you want to eat, no matter how rich you are or how strong your sense of entitlement may be, you are in america now and the only way we will survive is if you WORK.

I hope I've given you some help at all :) good luck with your essay!

Source(s): english major.

Bill Gates

Benjamin Franklin

The Google Founders

Henry Ford basically created the mass assembly line, which was used to make the car cheap for all Americans. The use of the car changed travel and thus society. In addition the assembly line ushered a new chapter of mass production. For more info look up wikipedia. good luck :)

Susan B. Anthony. She fought for nearly 50 years to ensure that women were given the right to vote.

Or John Lennon. He became a peace activist and member of the women's liberation movement after the Beatles, if I'm not mistaken. Plus he started a cultural revolution that changed music. Yeah...write your paper about John Lennon ^.^

Bin Laden