I'm auditioning for Les Miserables....?

My audition song is "Castle on a Cloud." I'm 14, and obviously Cosette is younger, but it was my favorite song of the list we were given, and I'm a soprano, I can sing a lot louder on the high bits. Do you have any tips I could use in practicing? I do have a basic knowledge of singing, I was in choir for 2 years, and this is a student production, but I want to get in really bad.....

Favorite Answer

Hello. I'm a huge fan of Les Mis and have memorized these songs (so far): Work Song,Valjean arrested/forgiven, What have I done?, End of the Day, Who am I?, Come to me (fantine's death), Confrontation, Castle on a Cloud, Master of the House, Thenardier Waltz of Treachery, Look Down, Stars, Do you hear the people sing?, Attack on Rue Plumet, One Day More, Upon these stones (building the barricade), On my own, Javert at the barricade/little people, First attack, A little Fall of Rain, Drink with me, Dog eats dog, Javert's suicide, Turning, Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, Beggars at the feast, and the Finale (Vajean's death.) I have seen the musical once. The reason why I have memorized all these songs (and I'm only 10!) is because I have a CD, but also because I listen online. I PRACTICE SINGING by expirementing on different voices. My fav charac. are young cosette and older eponine, and i try out their voices (I watch different people.) REMEMBER to look at the way their mouth moves, and obviously their voices. That's how I did it. Who are you auditioning for? I hope you get in and stuff and i know you'll have fun but if you don't get it--no sweat it's hard! Les Miz ROX!

good luck

~cocobutter, 10

To add to what KS said, don't drink super hot or super cold liquids either and definitely no soda. I know this was said but always warm up, do scales, sing little ditties that go up in key, whatever you're used. I love "Castle on a Cloud" I sang it in choir when I was just about your age, it's a fairly easy song so don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll do just great. Break a leg, girl!

Well for one don't drink or eat dairy products they could create mucus in your throat. Second is that you should warm up before you sing. A good warm up is lip rolls you could look that up. Another tip is when you sing your should flex your abs so you could support yourself. Also make sure you breathe from your diaphragm make your stomach kinda expand when you sing not your shoulders. I guess another one is to not get nervous because that's when you might sing sharp, flat, or breathy. So have fun lil lady! P.S. don't cause tension on your throat keep it relaxed and open your mouth not wide but long.