Which is easier?.... Violin, Electric Violin or Cello?

I would like to learn to play the: acoustic violin, electric violin and cello. I like all three but I'm not sure which is the easiest to begin to play. Any suggestions? I thought I would start with a electric violin. That way when I learn and practice, it would not bug my house-mates.

Favorite Answer

Usually musicians start out on the violin, which is easier. The electric violin is played the same way, but if you want to play in a band or something, this would be a more appropriate instrument. The cello is harder, because you have to shift more, but it sounds the best. Personally, you should play viola. It has the same strings as a cello, but is an octave higher, so it is slightly bigger and better than the violin.

Source(s): experience

I played violin for 3 or 4 years and cello one year. Violin for me was very challenging once I got to higher classes. The shifting was tricky and so was vibrato. Height doesn't matter because cellos come in different sizes and you sit down to play. I had 3/4 size and I was like 5'0" or 5'1". I had a freaking blast playing cello. i was first chair playing cello! Which means like the leader of that group kind of but it was begining orchestra soo lol still. It was easier than violin to me. And I don't know about the electric. They are expensive but yeah you can barely hear it unless you plug it in which is good to practice. You can only hear it. I suggest you test both and try them out. Feel which one feels better and more comfortably to hold for you. Have fun playing either though! I had fun with both. Good luck, buddy!! ;)

Electric violin and "acoustic" violin are the same. The Electric violin is amplified.

Cello is the best instrument, in my opinion. But, violin is a good beginner instrument.

Source(s): Cellist for 11 years. Violinist for 9.