Do you think that welfare/wic should work this way?

Back in the 50s and 60s, welfare worked very differently. Families that received food stamps were subject to food inspections by state representatives. The reps would come into the home and make sure that only staples were being purchased (generic flour, sugar, lard, etc.) and that nobody else besides the family... show more Back in the 50s and 60s, welfare worked very differently. Families that received food stamps were subject to food inspections by state representatives. The reps would come into the home and make sure that only staples were being purchased (generic flour, sugar, lard, etc.) and that nobody else besides the family was consuming the food.

I think this is a good idea because yesterday I was at walmart and the girl (18-20) in front of me purchased a six pack of Dr. Pepper bottles and 2 containers of name brand ice cream (neither of which are staples) and then whipped out her vision card. Then there was me, a single mother, purchasing store brand formula and diapers and paying with hard earned cash. Disparity at its best.
Update: This girl wasn't embarrassed at all. She wasn't ashamed to be paying for her Dr. Pepper with my tax dollars. Shame on her!
Update 2: justhappy: As a matter of fact, when I was pregnant I didn't get all the food I craved because i was alone and on a budget. Dr. pepper is a WANT not a NEED. it has no nutritional value at all. Welfare is about NEEDS not WANTS. Get it?
Update 3: jamie's mommy: I have no problem with you being on wic. Your deadbeat left you, and I can understand that. I was abandoned at 14 weeks of pregnancy, but I worked full time and didn't go on public assistance. I worked up until the day I gave birth.
Update 4: justhappy: You say you husband is hard working, and I believe you. Do you work? If you need help as much as you say you do, maybe you should get a job?
Update 5: frogfair: How come you don't get off the computer and get a JOB?

Classy, lady. Real classy.