Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

What's the mange and how do you get it?

Update:

I think my friend haz said she had it!!!

Update 2:

are unbridled outbursts of violence a by product of prolonged Mange...???

OMG all those words, I'm turning into OM

Update 3:

LOL Om it happened on the bent penis question!!!

weird huh?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No Irky...*smack* YOU have the mange.

irky's got the maaannngge.

EDIT-No mange here..I use medicated yard brushes for my ablutions. Hey I have no skin but I am mange free.

Is this all starting to sound a bit Benny Hill?

Are people calling me a dog??? *cries*

• Gwen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Nothing you have done will cure mange. While it may help with associated skin irritation, the mange needs to be treated by a vet. There are several types of mange, and without a skin scraping, you don't know what type she has. Some types are highly contagious and some are not. They also have different treatments. Mange is very itchy and painful. Look into CareCredit, it will allow you to make payments on her vet care, often interest-free. If you can not take her to the vet right now for help, please surrender her to a rescue group or shelter.

• 1 decade ago

Mange is usually seen in fur-bearing animals. It is due to a mite that lives in the hair follicle and causes inflammation. Eventually the hair falls out. Because there may be many mites, each inhabiting a follicle, the recognisable sign of mange is the appearance of inflamed bald patches in the animal's coat.

Mange can be passed to humans but is then referred to as demodicosis.

Try not to come into close contact with a mange infested animal. Wear disposable gloves if treating and don't let the animal sleep on your bed or furniture. Wash hands after contact.

Source(s): Zoologist. Dog owner (rescue dogs).
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You get it by eating Oreo's of the floor.

Since you spend 100% of your time in the shower, I think you will be safe.

Haz - well, I am not sure she has mange. If you were a mange-causing bug, would YOU bite Haz? I mean, her body must by 50% Picallili for a start.

EDIT:- Hey - I am D-liberately using small words to stop you making fun of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, Haz is displaying textbook symptoms.

EDIT 2:- Trying to give someone a thumbs up, but removing them as a contact is a sure sign of mange. Yes Irky, I'll be your contact. Again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Mange is a parasitic infestation of the skin of animals. Common symptoms include hair loss, itching and inflammation, all of which are caused by microscopic mites. Mange is most commonly found in dogs and other canines, but it can occur in other domestic and wild animals, such as turtles, causing them to lose their shells.

Mange is caused by a tiny parasite, a "mite", which is a form of arachnid (related to spiders).Fleas live on the outer surface of the skin. Fleas bite an animal and drink blood, but next to mange mites, fleas are a treat.Mange mites dig into the skin and live beneath the surface. In addition to drinking the animal's blood, they provoke allergic reactions.

• 1 decade ago

Mange is a parasitic infestation of the skin of animals. Common symptoms include hair loss, itching and inflammation, all of which are caused by microscopic mites. Mange is most commonly found in dogs and other canines, but it can occur in other domestic and wild animals, such as turtles, causing them to lose their shells.

Similar skin infestations in humans are not usually called mange but Demodicosis which may have a rosacea-like appearance.

The mites embed themselves in the hair follicles or skin, depending on the type. Both detection and treatment can be difficult and generally require consultation with a veterinarian.

Two types of mites produce canine mange, and each type has characteristic symptoms.

Red Mange, demodectic mange in dogs is caused by a sensitivity to and overpopulation of Demodex canis as the animal's immune system is unable to keep the mites in check. This is a mite that occurs naturally in the hair follicles of most dogs in low numbers around the face and other areas of the body. In most dogs, these mites never cause problems. However, in certain situations, such as an under-developed or impaired immune system, intense stress, or malnutrition, the mites can reproduce rapidly, causing symptoms in sensitive dogs that range from mild irritation and hair loss on a small patch of skin to severe and widespread inflammation, secondary infection, and—in rare cases—a life-threatening condition. Small patches of demodicosis often correct themselves over time as the dog's immune system matures, although treatment is usually recommended.

Sarcoptic mange is a highly contagious infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei canis, a burrowing mite. The canine sarcoptic mite can also infest humans and cats, pigs, horses, sheep and various other species. Affected dogs need to be isolated from other dogs and their bedding, and places they have occupied must be thoroughly cleaned. Other dogs in contact with a diagnosed case should be evaluated and treated.

These mites dig into and through the skin, causing intense itching and crusting that can quickly become infected. Hair loss and crusting frequently appear first on elbows and ears. Skin damage can occur from the dog's intense scratching and biting and secondary skin infection is common. Dogs with chronic sarcoptic mange are often in poor condition.

Source(s): Brochure from my vet.
  • Pat
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

People seem to have left off their descriptions of mange that it gives you OCD because you want to scratch parts of your body into oblivioun.

Cool huh? All the fashionable kids are doing it

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mange is a mite infestation. usually sarcopic mites. people can be infested to. usually you get it from casual contact. mites can live for two days off the animal. visiting an area visited by an infested animal is all it takes.

• 1 decade ago

SOmeone said 'sarcopic." *snicker*

Mange is apparently some kind of mite infestation. You catch it from infected mittens and cold cereal. And pop tarts. But not the strawberry kind - they rock.

Source(s): Especially frosted ones.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dogs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.