Double exposure Polaroids?

How can I make double exposure Polaroids using a Polaroid 600? One of my friends told me I would have to take apart the whole camera and do something inside, but I really don't want to take apart my whole camera. Any tips?

Best Answer

Pooky is right...you would have to modify the camera. If you double expose film, you have to divide the exposure in half for each shot, otherwise you would just wind up overexposing the picture.

For example, you can easily do double exposures with a manual 35mm or 120 film camera if it doesn't have double exposure protection, or if you can disable it. (Some antique cameras didn't have double exposure prevention, and others have a feature like a button or switch that will allow you to use double exposures). Basically, you just expose the same frame twice, without advancing the film.

However, the catch is that since you're DOUBLE exposing the film, you have to divide the exposure in half, so that when you take both pictures on the same frame, it will equal one correctly exposed frame. The easiest way is to do that is by increasing the shutter speed. For example, if you double expose film with a shutter speed setting of 1/200, that would be the same as taking one picture with the shutter speed at 1/100. Does that make sense?

And it might not be exactly in half. It will depend on your subject and the lighting conditions. One double exposure trick is to make a person look like a "ghost." You first take the picture without the person. Then take another picture with them standing in the same place. You have to use a tripod, of course. The person will look transparent. But you would have to experiment with each exposure...it will depend on how bright the background is and what color clothes the person is wearing. I tried it with a friend one time, but the background was too bright and it cut off his head!

But the problem is how are you going to change the exposure with a Polaroid camera? Even if somehow you could modify it so that it let you expose the film twice before it ejects the picture, how would you change the shutter speed? As far as I know, most Polaroid cameras didn't have manual shutter speed or aperture settings.

It sounds like it would be a very interesting project and I'm sure it would be a cool effect to try...but it would be VERY difficult to do. It would be a major project to modify the camera that way. And sadly, I think that unless you did a lot of research and you were very careful about it, you would just end up with a broken camera :(

• nashim

Polaroid Double Exposure

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Double exposure Polaroids?

Source(s): double exposure polaroids: https://tr.im/LMrZU
  • Mary

its probably some kind of double exposure or if you haven't seen the picture in a while then it just might be the photo ageing and something that looks like a ghost appeared.

You'll end up with a broken camera.

Once exposed, the print is ejected--so you either have to disable that, and even if it can be done, you have to figure out the exposure, too. Two "normal" exposures on one print will equal to overexposing one print.