Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do messages like these really impact you as a member of the LGBT community?

*Waves*

As a heterosexual, former member of the Marines, a political moderate who distrusts political parties, and atheist(and thus free of potential religiously motivated bias against LGBT people) I'd just like to say since moving back to California a scant year or so before the Prop 8 vote and being in the middle of the dialogue over all this. I really am motivated to actively work to ensure that nationally, gays being treated by many as second class citizens will come to an end(even if like racism we understand it wont be gone completely) and that gay marriage becomes a national reality.

I just hope gay teens out there in the US scared because of how their families have reacted eventually find some hope and peace.

Just to add details. This btw isn't some new revelation of anything. I've never been raised biased to gays. I remember a woman my parents were friends with when I was young. She was a lesbian. I remember her house was neat, with a nice white couch, and she had a shitzu dog and her girlfriend was a little chunky. I always found it odd the idea that someone who worry about the girlfriend instead of what she(my parent's friend) was like as a person.

It always seem a sort of DUH thing. If MLK said judge people by the content of their character, not their skin color. Why would I think that would change any way from, judge by the content of their character, not their orientation.

Favorite Answer

Thank you, for your supportive comments. As the newly seated president of the oldest GLBTI organization in my state, it is refreshing to read positive comments from "the other side."

I am 46, and started school in the late sixties, when segregation and hysteria over race were commonplace. Over the years I have noticed progress in the fact that the younger people are, the more "color blind" they are.

The same holds true for GLBTI equality. Although the struggle continues, on many fronts, there is definite progress slowly being made. This space on Yahoo! is just one example.

In the 1980's my organization easily had more than 400 members. That was because there was no where for gays and lesbians to go, other than to bars. Today we have fewer than 100 members and struggle to maintain that census. Most are in their 40's and older.

Younger people do not feel the need to seek out a place where they can be themselves. They don't need to search for a safe place to take a date. They can go to pretty much ANY bar, nightclub, restaurant, or theater and not fear getting attacked. Of course, there are still exceptions, and you have to be careful, especially in more isolated communities where ignorance still flourishes.

We will have equal rights. But, only when enough bigots die off. The citizens of four states came out in force to illustrate their stupidity and bigotry last November. It was a crushing blow after 4 decades of our movement. But, the glimmer of hope comes in the form of the very narrow margin by which they won. Just a decade ago, the same questions would have suffered devastating defeat.

Here is one small form of retaliation I plan to execute. For each of the 10 Februaries, my "husband" and I head to our timeshare in Florida. We pay the property taxes and the maintenance fees, we buy plane tickets, and then use our villa as the launching point for tourism and shopping trips all over central and northern Florida. This year we are not going. Sure, we have to pay the mandatory fees. But we will not voluntarily go to spend thousands of dollars in a state that has declared that we don't deserve equal rights.

Instead, I will write a letter to the citizens of Florida and send copies to the Governor, several media outlets and to multiple tourism departments. My letter will state that we got the message they sent us in November. We'll be staying home, or enjoying Connecticut or Massachuesetts.

Anybody know a homophobe looking for a good deal on a high-end timeshare?

I highly respect you for it.

I respect pretty much anyone who was or is a Marine (been thinking about joining myself).

The fact that you're open minded about this and have a very mature stance only increases the respect.

Thank god there's still people out there willing to see beyond bias and prejudice. There needs to be more people like you.

• Erika

What you describe would not meet the definition of "fetish." It additionally would not propose you're lesbian or transgender. there are training on a thank you to parent that out, yet loving to placed on eye-catching shoes and hose isn't between them, regardless of in case you have been a dude. on the different hand, on the instant human beings are many times welcome contained in the LGBT community in the event that they settle for others are they are, and in particular reject discrimination on the inspiration of sexual orientation and/or identity.

• Thank you so much for sharing. Do what you can to support the community, and help to spread information (and thus squash disinformation) about the truths of equality for the LGBT community.

• LSBN

Awwwwwwwwwww! Yes, I love it when we are supported by the heterosexual community. Thank you for your message of hope, it is so nice to see. Normally we are being subjected to attack after attack, so any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

I wanted to thank you for serving and protecting our country. Your sacrifice for our safety can never be repaid, and my gratitude can not be expressed.

L

I would say there is a hope for lgbt people in a country like USA..and Latin American .. little by little.. they are gaining their respect and same rights.

• joe o

Wow! Thank you. We just need more people to think like you.

Yes, this message has a positive impact on my life.

Now HERES a good person! I love to see that STR8's are supporting us Gays. Thanx!

yeah, I would say that impacted me

it's really touching when straight people "get it" and truly care about our rights and such :)

thank you!

This means a lot, thank you.