Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How long does a dogs menstrual cycle last?

My dogs 8 months old and just started her period how long will this this last??

Update:

How long till she stops bleedingg

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The "heat" will last about a month (3-5 weeks). You can tell when a ***** has gone into season by the swelling. For my ***** (golden retriever) the "breeding" or "flow" lasted about 6 days but I did have a boston terrier years ago that bled only 4 days and I have a friend with a black lab who bleeds for about 8 days. So allot depends on the dog and since it's her first it will be the lightest and shortest. If you don't intend on breeding your dog contact your local animal friends or spca and get her fixed. I know animal friends has the abc program (animal birth control) and it cost me $25 to neuter my male, my *****'s brother, so no incest occurred. Also if you intend to breed please wait until at least her 3rd heat...4th if it's a breed with a large square head...so that her body has fully matured.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The proestrus averages nine days, though anything between 1 to 17 days is still normal. The estrus lasts an average of nine days also, with 3 to 21 days still being normal. B****es often have a blood-tinged discharge beginning in proestrus and it will become straw colored during estrus. Unlike the human female cycle, this is when the b**** is fertile. In humans, the menstruation is after the fertile phase. You need to keep your b**** away from other dogs, take her outside on a leash, and don't leave her anywhere an intact male could climb, dig, or chew his way in.

• 1 decade ago

First of all dogs dont get periods/menstrual cycles like humans get. They get whats called a heat cycle.

Second a heat cycle lasts 3 weeks. The second week is the worst because thats when they are ready to breed so thats when your dog will need to be watched closely. Please get your dog spayed after this.

Bleeding lasts a week

• A females "heat cycle" lasts 3 weeks and will go into heat twice a year.

Source(s): de
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

three weeks to a month there a dog diapers you can get

depending on how big your dog is and her temperament

if you dont want this to happen again you may want to get her spayed

and oh this happens twice a year in the fall and spring usually

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Her heat cycle will last about 3 weeks. One week coming into heat, one week in heat (she can conceive during this time) and one week going out.

• 1 decade ago

About 1 month. She will stop bleeding before that but she is still in heat. Male dogs will hover around especially during this period.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dogs have periods?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.