Ross M asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Do ALL 'double' teeth have two root canals? ?

In diagrams of teeth I note that 'single' teeth show a single root canal, and 'double' teeth two root canals, so do ALL 'double' teeth have two?

I understand that 'double' teeth can have different patterns of root canals, e.g, '11' pattern, 'Y' pattern, 'H' pattern, and 'inverted Y' pattern, but do ALL doubles have two?

Thanks uneyk and Dan W. It seems a littel more detail may be required.

The tooth in question is the first double/premolar on the left top (starting from the front).

The reason I ask is that I had a route canal treatment some years ago, and recently a further problem. My dentist 'expressed' surprise at how rare two root canals were in this tooth, or perhaps some teeth.

I subsequently went to another dentist who advised that this particular tooth ALWAYS has two canals.

It may be a case of my dentist covering up for a lack of knowledge or poor work first time round by not treating both.

Further comment would be welcome.

Isn't that using two scoops of ice cream in the root beer? Actually what I find interesting is how most people here answered according to the roots of a tooth. In fact, doesn't a root canal involve removing the nerve from the tooth, and don't all teeth have just one nerve? I'm by far no expert on this subject so I may not know what I'm talking about but this seems the most logical to me. Saying that, would a double root canal mean a dentist is removing the nerves of two teeth?

No not all double teeth(premolars) have two canals. In general most lower premolars have one canal, but some do split into two, and most upper premolars have two. This is according to my dental anatomy book.

Source(s): DDS

by double teeth do you mean molars and premolars ( the teeth in the back)?

if so then yes they have more than one root, some times even three