Slipping transmission?

My Saab's transmission slipped and the transmission light came on. The dealer said the transmission fluid's viscosity was strange and the wrong color. I bought the car used in Texas and haven't had the fluid changed since it has less than 60k. There doesn't seem to be a computer or transmission problem. What would cause this? They are guessing that changing the fluid 30k early would fix the problem at very little cost.

Favorite Answer

Hi Ginger, there is no transmission filter in the later Saab models so keep that in mind since you did not not specify the model year nor the model 9-3 or 9-5.

Change the transmission fluid to Saab recommended fluid, have the transmission flushed. Be careful not to mix with other fluids in type or color.

Hopefully this will help otherwise the transmission will have to be opened and clutches changed.

Changing the transmission fluid early certainly won't hurt anything but from my experience a slipping transmission is usually loose bands. These can be adjusted and it would be a very good idea to ask about them and if the fluid is going to be changed I would insist on the bands getting checked and adjusted. This in only a minor problem

The transmission fluid should really be changed every 30k miles or so. You definitely need to change it it if looks at all suspicious. Make sure they do a 'flush'. $80-$120 is the going rate. You might want to pay a bit extra and have the filter changed too.

You really need to identify if the transmission is an auto or a manual. However, I doubt these things are related other than the bad motor mounts may have lead to the tranmission problem. If you have an automatic, you can get a factory rebuilt unit for about $1900, but you need to decide if this car is worth it. The total bill could be about $2500 with labor. A lot more if you get it done at a Honda dealership.

I would do just that, go to a transmission shop and see if changing your fluid will help before going thru all the costs of a rebuilt transmission

Sounds like some body has put an additive in the transmission fluid. you can try new fluid but if it is slipping there is likely a more serious problem.

• billy

It does sound like it might have the wrong fluid in it, at any rate changing the fluid sometimes will help as old fluid does not work as good as new fluid would.

change fluid,check transmission lines,maybe a new transmission filter,and a radiator for it might do you good if you drive a lot.And maybe change the fluid once more.

After all that and it still slips youre going to need a new transmission.

Yep. I would just have the fluid topped off and call it a day. Wouldn't worry about anything else unless it keeps happening or happens again. Good Luck.

yes, definately get the fluid and tranny filter changed and see what happens.