-Gentle.Scapegoat- asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Doberman Pinscher, ear cropping?

In a few months, I am getting a doberman pinscher puppy. this puppy will be professionally trained for guard and personal protection.

I understand why ears are cropped, is because it takes away the attackers ability to have something to hold on to if they try to pull away the dog, and i think this is a good idea, but I'm not sure if I should have this done or not. I understand the taping procedure, but I'm just wondering if there are any other pros or cons.

Don't bring up cruelty, and if you say im doing this solely for aesthetics you are really ignorant. I'd like real answers and opinions that can answer the question.

• .
    Best Answer

With a responsible breeder you shouldn't have a choice responsible breeder crop all dogs before they go to their new homes. Benefits to cropping besides eliminating a hand hold for would be human attacks is that the erect ear allows the dog to narrow sound location down to a narrower area than a floppy ear and reduced risk of ear infections especially if you live in a humid area. Since you are planing on using the dog for guard/protection work it also gives the dog a sharper look. Cropped Dobermans are easily recognizable and most people will avoid tangling with one. Natural ears give the dog a softer look and for people that don't know dogs they aren't as easily recognizable especially at a distance. Cons is that you will have to take the time to post the ears correctly though since you will likely be using a shorter pet crop rather than a show crop the time will be likely be significantly less than with the longer crop.

Also you said the dog would be trained for guard/protection. I hope you aren't planning on sending the dog away to be trained but rather are planing to train the dog yourself with the assistance of a professional trainer. I also hope you are purchasing from a responsible breeder that has a history of dogs with good drive and stable temperaments. Not every Dobie is suitable for protection/guard training and dogs from less reputable breeders who don't breed for proper temperament tend to be so reactive or to "soft" to be suitable for this type of training.

Source(s): Doberman owner

You shouldn't because you shouldn't buy that dog. It will not, in this and other countries that allow cropping and where it is considered the norm, be from a good, responsible breeder if it is not already cropped and healed prior to placement. I don't know who you are purchasing from but will gladly discuss it with your privately as this is a HUGE red flag of an irresponsible byber or pm, and there are lots of them out there - particularly selling on the basis of 'working lines' and 'euro lines' and that nonsense.

So essentially you need to contact a GOOD breeder that will already have the dog medically complete prior to placing at 9 - 12 weeks of age. The ears will be cropped before that.

As far as 'professionally' trained for protection, that is also a hoax and a waste of money and effort and can be exceedingly dangerous. You can train the dog but if you have someone else train it, it will be a waste as he most important and difficult to train component in training for anything is the human, not the dog.

I am very glad you have done some research and at least realize that there is indeed purpose for the cropping, that as well as the fact that no 'natural' animal is ever with dropped ears as it interferes with hearing and can be a health problem.

If the pup isn't already cropped from the breeder, don't bother getting it cropped as you likely would have no real way of getting a decent crop or after care done and the breeder won't be any help at all.

add: The poster above is incorrect. It does NOT leave the ear 'more sensitive' at all. It actually precipitates LESS to infections and takes much less care and cleaning - hence mother nature created ALL animals with erect ears :-)

Amazing all the misinformation one gets here.

add again: The comment about Rottweilers having dropped ears is another piece of misinformation. Their ears are VERY different than the uncropped Dobermans and they are a different breed used in a different manner and while they can be used in personal protection, their breed standard is not written to include characteristics that would optimize it being a companion protection dog like the Dobermans IS specifically bred for.

add 3: The place above being spammed for the brace system is NOT someone anyone who has any knowledge of the breed or concern about dogs would want to support = the term with initials 'P. M.' apply.... big time!

Source(s): owner, trainer, trialer, and protected lots by my Dobermans for over five decades - cropped and uncropped - prefer cropped for the valid reasons I described.
  • It's really up to you. Ear cropping is a long process, so you have to decide if the result is worth it to you. It really isn't that difficult, though, so don't be intimidated. The biggest con with cropping is that if it isn't done well the ears could look terrible forever. If you are careful to have it done by an experienced vet (your breeder should be able to recommend a good one) this is rarely an issue. If the dog will be for protection, cropping might be a good idea--not only does it prevent attackers from grabbing the dog, but it also increases their ability to locate the source of a sound. There have been millions of happy, healthy, cropped Dobermans so don't let anyone scare you into thinking it's a bad idea or make you feel guilty for being so "cruel."

Source(s): Doberman owner

You state you understand why the ears are cropped ,one reason because it is the breed standard the other reason, using the dog for protection that if someone grabs at the dog, there is less to hold onto, but, also consider that there are other breeds, such as the Rottweiler who have their ears natural that make great protection dogs so the ear crop is more of an aesthetic thing and that of personal preference.

As far as once they are cropped, it is a lot of work to get the ears to stand, the constant taping and wrapping, and then if one does not stand correctly, getting it to stand, having to place something inside of the ear, such as a tampon for support, and then wrap and tape the ear. Every time you unwrap the tape, it pulls the hair off the ear, just like ripping a band aid off your flesh. This is painful to the dog. The whole ear cropping proceedure is a painful proceedure, unlike the docking of a tail which is done prior to 3 days old, ear cropping is done at an age of between 8 to 16 weeks old, this is a major surgery and one which the puppy can feel everything and must take pain medicine after the proceedure. This is not something I would recommend. Also, just trying to clarify, you say in a few months you will be getting this puppy and it will be fully trained for Guard and Personal Protection, How old will this puppy be when you get it ? Personal Guard and Protection training takes years to learn, and bite work normally starts at around 18 months, just wondering what kind of training your puppy is coming with ?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Doberman Pinscher, ear cropping?

I understand why ears are cropped, is because it takes away the attackers ability to have something to hold on to if they try to pull away the dog, and i think...

Source(s): doberman pinscher ear cropping: https://biturl.im/0pEWo

I have had both cropped and uncropped minpins. I have to say, I like the look of cropped ears, but I hate how you get there. The first two weeks after cropping really stink. It's painful and not pretty. After that it isn't too bad. Check out a website for quick brace. It's a Dobe breeder in TN that makes a fantastic brace for ears. These braces make the whole taping process a lot easier, and much more comfy for the dogs. There is a ton of info also on ear cropping, problems etc. They list the benefits of both cropped and uncropped ears. I think the website could help you. Good luck

I have never had any problems with ear infections, that is not true. Minpins can have natural ears acording to the breed standard, but they have to stand from base to tip, and many if not most, do not stand.

http://www.hoytt.com/ears/

Source(s): breeder

One major problem with ear cropping is it leaves the ears extremely sensitive to touch, and the dog can be more snappish because of it. I though about it with my min pins, and decided not to. The breed standard doesn't call for it anymore, and most people would look at a pinscher and back off in any case. Ear cropping can also cause more ear infections, since there is nothing to keep rainwater or debris out of the ear canal. It is a personal choice, but I would not have it done.

• Andi

I work at a vet and my boss does do the ear cropping. Now a days people dont think it is humane but the doberman to me looks better with its ears cropped. If you said you had a boxer or a pit I would say leave them as is. Seriously though I would say to do it.

However time is limited on if you want to get them done or not. Cause the longer you wait to decide it maybe too late. The will not stand up if you get them done at a later time. So before you recieve this pup really think it out and have your answer ready when he/she arrives

• voll

Doberman Uncropped Ears

When i was younger my father had 2 Dobes. One cropped, one left natural. We had a dog door in our house and the Dobes had full access to our backyard at night. There were a couple near break-ins during the time we had them. Tyrone had cropped ears and Monroe did not. Whenever Tyrone was outside at night we never once had an incident.

It definitely contributes to their "fear factor." Just make sure it's done by a good vet. I've seen some dogs come out of it and they look more goofy then when they went in.